Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled my lifters out of my 85 G-head and found that one felt spongy but the rest were pretty hard. After sitting on my workbench for a few weeks, they all feel pretty spongy. Are they supposed to feel hard or spongy? Are they only hard when full of oil? I don't really understand how they work, so any advice on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
throw em out and get PT lifters :)

seriously, the spongy one was prolly bad ; LMK -if you need, I can send a couple used lifters 2 ya

I run PT's FTW !

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great! I am planning on running PT lifters as well. When I locate some, I want to make sure they are good. I looked at some regular lifters from an 88 aires wagon and they were all hard as a rock. I could not compress them. Don't know if that is normal or not.

I have a question about the 3.3L conical springs ( I assume you have that mod as well). The ones I picked up from the junkyard are quite a bit shorter than my straight springs. I am also switching to a 88 TBI roller cam, so I don't know if that will make a difference for the needed spring hieght. What do I need to do about the difference in spring hieght? Anything?

detobias: I can't believe you live in Houghton. You must have one hell of a collection of thermal underwear! Going to the Lake Superior Pro Rally this year?

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
yes I am running the 3.3s too, and a TBI cam ; revs like crazy

make sure you have the pre- 2001 3.3's

as I recall, my machinist did add couple shims to the 3.3s to get the seat pressure up to IIRC 80 ; this is still less than installed press of the straight springs but is fine ; check out the LENGTHy thread in the Induction forum 'Conical springs for 8V' started by Pope

LSPR has passed couple weekends back; I checked out some cars but was too busy to do any stages :(

and yes I have a fine collection of thermals ; wearing some right now %)

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ohh...I didn't realize the LSPR has come and gone. I went one year and it snowed a few times. It wasn't too late in the season so I didn't freeze that much.

Ok...I have springs from a 96 caravan 3.3L so I should be good on the year. I grabbed some extra shims that are typically under the spring to begin with. I will have to get some more because they are quite thin. I did check out the thread about conical springs, but maybe I didn't read it all. It was a few weeks ago. Thanks!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Detobias: I have a question about the 88 TBI cam that you probably know the answer to. I have heard that when you swap to the TBI cam you can have problems with a square tooth cam and a round tooth crank (or vice versa). The problem is that the cam will be 4 degrees retarded. I don't know what year the round tooth came out, but my 88 TBI cam has square teeth just like my old turbo cam. I am assuming it will drop right in with out being retarded by 4 degrees, but I'm not sure. What do you think?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts