Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was toying around with cutting the springs on my horizon when i do my shocks and struts and was wondering how many coils to take off

Everyone who i've seen do it took 2 coils off front and back, so i was thinking i'd be safe there.

The main thing i could see wrong is my stock 13's rub when i turn sharp sitting at stock height. so is the answer not to turn sharp or is there a problem there i should fix?

so what should i do? all my money is going to the 2.5 swap so i cant go grab a bunch of suspension parts yet.

i just put together the parts list for the swap, and the way i want it its well over $1300 god i have to cut something out :p

·
Registered
349 Posts
the best way to do it is to cut 1/4 coil at a time and test drive it in between. i know you dont want to do this, im far too impatient myself. tires rubbing sucks, dont cut the coils yet. leave it alone, walk away. either do the cheap crap ebay coilovers or do it the right way at $1300

·
Registered
496 Posts
I cut one coil of the fronts of my K body and it dropped about an inch. No problems at all. I did use small U-bolts to clamp the end of the springs to the lower mounts just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
631 Posts
In all my experience with lowering my personal cars. The best and cheapest way to do it is to use some Mr. Gasket Coil spring clamps. Universal Coil Spring Control - Spring Clamps - Mr. Gasket It doesn't lower it but maybe a little over an inch. But It gives added handling. And you won't be one of those guys "bouncing" down the freeway over every little bump. Both cutting and heating the springs has that effect. And I hate it! My first car I cut them. It was horribly bouncy. The next car I heated them. Same result. I just went outside and snapped a pic of one of my springs. I have the clamps on all 4 springs. The kit on the link only comes with enough to do just 1 spring. So you have to buy 4 kits to do all 4. They are very easy to install. you just need a Spring compressor. However if you are looking make it like 3 inches lower, and handle well. You're looking at easily $1,300. for some coilovers to do it right.

Here is a pic of my first car. I cut the springs on this one. It was sooooo bouncy!! And I don't think you want that.

It was a Turbo Saturn... :D Very fun car! It got totaled though. :(

·
Administrator
16,494 Posts
i cut 2 off my omni and it SLAMED IT!!!! i would go with coil overs!!!!!!!!! the stock 13's were in the fender wells. not a fun time... it only had about 1 inch of travial in the strut before it bottomed out! DONT DO IT!!!!

i ended up going this way...

which made my omni sit like this(this is with no motor)

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Unless you have really good roads there, omnis dont have enough suspension travel to be lowered even an inch. My old charger was at stock height and still hit the bump stops sometimes. Its better to leave the suspension stock if you dont have the money to do it right. Really low cars are ricey anyway.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts

is this low enough? has neon coil overs and a rear axel flip to lower the back

this was before the shelby lancer wheels sitting on 14s

·
Registered
155 Posts
Unless you have really good roads there, omnis dont have enough suspension travel to be lowered even an inch. My old charger was at stock height and still hit the bump stops sometimes. Its better to leave the suspension stock if you dont have the money to do it right. Really low cars are ricey anyway.

What kinda Charger is it! The spring rates are extremely low here are the 4 front spring rates: 85lb/in standard, 120lb/in Heavy duty, 145 lb/in Shelby and 180lb/in Mopar performance AutoX and rally. Cutting the bumpstops on the AutoX springs is what I'm gonna do...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, ive havent been on in a while, so to catch up...

im gonna look into doing what woodrow suggested

i want it to be functional and reversible

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
What kinda Charger is it! The spring rates are extremely low here are the 4 front spring rates: 85lb/in standard, 120lb/in Heavy duty, 145 lb/in Shelby and 180lb/in Mopar performance AutoX and rally. Cutting the bumpstops on the AutoX springs is what I'm gonna do...
It was a shelby charger. I dont have it anymore becasue $$$ premium gas and 18 mpg didnt work too well with the amount of driving I do. lol

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I got ebay cheapo tercel coilovers on my SC. With my 17" they don't rub on the fender lip but with my old 15" rub like hell on every bump but that because they stuck out alittle. Pics of both wheels with same height.

The 15" I still got but don't use. 7" wide with 225 50 15 on the front 205 55 15 rear.

The 17" x 7"are 205 40 17 bridgestones. They sit in on my car and actual allow the tire to stuff when I need it to.

·
Helping when I can
1,326 Posts
The main thing i could see wrong is my stock 13's rub when i turn sharp sitting at stock height.
:confused:
I had some 185/70R13 that rubbed a little on that rubber flap thats clipped to the frame. I've never had 165/80R13 rub ever.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts