Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im planning on getting a boosted 2.5 and throwing it in the horizon, my tranny is perfect recently rebuilt 525.

the turbo motor has a 5spd (whichever ones came in the turbo caravans) but the synchos are pretty bad going into 2nd and 4th it just grinds til its in.

how much power can i throw behind my 525 before i start blowing gears?

if needs be ill rebuild the other tranny but if i can get by with the 525 id rather use it.

· Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yay im not the only one :p

everybody keeps telling me they are, even the dealer told me running behind the 2.2 they're still crap.

i just had it rebuilt less than 7000miles ago so i dont want to give it up... rebuilt to oem spec, but that was before i was interested in performance...

then again i dont want to tear it apart running too much too it :-/

· Registered
894 Posts
looks like you have the answer. find out which transmission is in the van, i think they are either a 520 or 523 right? those will handle more, and you could probably find another for relatively cheap, i just think you'll be pist if you get your turbo 2.5 in there bolted to a 525 then blow it up within hours and you gotta pull it out. i think the T1 2.5 was 200ftlbs of torque too.

· Registered
1,382 Posts
I dont think it will blow up within hours unless your doin burnouts and droppin the clutch everywhere you go. We put about 200 miles on mine before we blew the engine at 15psi. I think you should run it and get everything sorted out and collect the parts needed for the trans swap and then when/if it blows then upgrade!

· Registered
135 Posts
When mechanical parts are engineered properly (and they certainly aren't always done this way) they are designed and tested to have a certain safety factor. For instance, many suspension components are designed to handle 3X anything they would see "in the real world."

Just because the trans is rated at 175lbft that doesn't mean that 175lbft it will explode. I don't know what kind of margin of error they build into these things, but even if it is only 1.5X then your looking at over 250lbft.

Doing burn outs isn't the best way to brake stuff either. Getting traction loads the system up more than not having traction. Though there is no doubt that constant beating can tear up anything almost regardless of its rating.

Many people run 525s with quite a bit more than stock boost without a problem. In other words, crank it up.

· Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
okay, i might keep the 525 then, idk it depends on how cheap i can get a rebuild or the other.

my uncle is the tranny guy, he rebuilt the 525 so i know he could do the 520 or 523, i kinda like the idea of the 523.

thanks for the info guys im might keep the 525 i kinda like how its geared, idk food for thought

Thanks!

oh and btw

i just got home from raping ricers, i pulled on 3 accords at once in the stock hobox xD

bodykits, fart cans (even though i have one, mines functional :p), and 18's, sooo slow

· Banned
1,701 Posts
Im planning on getting a boosted 2.5 and throwing it in the horizon, my tranny is perfect recently rebuilt 525.

the turbo motor has a 5spd (whichever ones came in the turbo caravans) but the synchos are pretty bad going into 2nd and 4th it just grinds til its in.

how much power can i throw behind my 525 before i start blowing gears?

if needs be ill rebuild the other tranny but if i can get by with the 525 id rather use it.
300+ hp as long as you don't pound the crap out of it. easy shifts, avoid pounding down shifts and it'll do just fine

· Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oooh now not punding it that might be hard, im generally an easy driver...

but when i get going i shift like im trying to stay in vtec, if youve never driven a honda you wouldnt understand. lol

in other words i can be hard on the tranny a little but you dont even know that i shifted besides the rpm drop so its smooth as silk.

· Registered
1,001 Posts
Pretty sure the van would have a 520. I went through a 525 in no time when my car was stock. The stupid diff. pin popped out. :bang head I still have one (for now), but I'll upgrade soon. :thumb: Since it's a low-mile rebuild, I'd use it until it meets its inevitable demise. Get a turbo clutch & flywheel, though (230mm vs. 215).

· Registered
1,556 Posts
shifting a 525 sucks ass. but plenty of people have ran 12's with the 525 setup and have had no problems. there is also the heim joint thing you can do with the shifter but if your going through all that shit i would just get a 555 shifter and cables and call it good. i don't see what the big deal is about the "hacking up the floor" basically 2 holes for the shift cables and 4 small holes for the shifter mounting.

· Registered
1,200 Posts
My friend has an 86 SC and has the stock 525 in it and has ran several passes in the mid 12's at 116+mph and he just simply can't break his tranny. I think it really depends on your driving skills. In my opinion, missing shifts and grinding gears will destroy a tranny faster than anything else.

· Registered
1,556 Posts
My friend has an 86 SC and has the stock 525 in it and has ran several passes in the mid 12's at 116+mph and he just simply can't break his tranny. I think it really depends on your driving skills. In my opinion, missing shifts and grinding gears will destroy a tranny faster than anything else.
word.:thumb: also changing trans fluid often helps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.