Turbo Dodge Forums banner

How to add an OEM BOV to the T2 air cleaner housing

Performance Mod 
4K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  ILIKESHELBYS 
#1 ·
OK...so if you have a T2 equiped car and you need or want to add a BOV but don't want to spend a lot of cash or don't want to make a lot of modifications to maintain that 'factory look', you can use factory T1 BOV parts to add a factory or aftermarket BOV to your T2 air cleaner housing. This modification would be great for something like a Shelby GLHS or an early T2 car that did not come equiped w/any sort of factory BOV.

Here is the approach and just one way to do it:

I robbed the bulkhead style metal nipple fitting from the T1 throttle body hose and transferred it to the integrated intercooler hose inside the T2 air cleaner housing. To do this, all I had to do was shape the fitting a little to fit the curve inside the tube and used JBWeld epoxy to hold it in place. See pictures 1, 3 and 5.

Then I robbed the BOV from the inside of the T1 housing. It is easy to remove by just prying off the friction retainer ring. See pic 2.

Removed a little plastic off the T2 housing's air cleaner element support post and drilled a hole in the bottom of the housing to accept a grommet (also borrowed from the T1 housing) and about 18" of thick walled silicone hose that I bought in a kit from FWDPerformance. See pictures 6, 7 & 8.

Using a short piece of coolant hose, I attached the OEM BOV to the metal nipple fitting, and threaded the smaller silicone hose through the grommet and then tightened up the clamps as shown in the pictures 9 & 10 below.

So now I have a OEM BOV inside my stock appearing air cleaner housing that will be good to about 14 psi, which s what I currently run, I used all OEM parts (except the JBWeld) and total assembly time was about an hour. I get to use the regular housing and filter so there is no need for a cone, and custom piping, more CAC hose and more T-bolt clamps.

If I decide to go for more boost, I can call up my friend Chris at Turbos Unleashed and get one of their billet BOVs (in black or silver) and install it in place of the OEM BOV that I have in there now...and I'd have a high-performance version that would hold even more boost like for a stage 5 (20 psi) setup.

I think it's pretty dang cool and I love the fact that it's (except for the small hose exiting the bottom of the housing) totally stealthy. That little hose I plan to 'T' into the wastegate line and I will also be including the special purpose check valve that also came from the late model T1 housing setup. It's not just a one way check valve either by the way. If you blow in the manifold side of the check valve, it does not flow, if you pull vacuum, it opens the valve. If you blow or pull vacuum from the other side there is a integral vent that allows flow in either direction. This is to keep pressure off the BOV diaphragm, yet allow the BOV to open under vacuum. This small check valve is pictured below in the last picture (pic 11) and you can see I have not yet cut the new hose and inserted it.

I already had the T1 housing, BOV, hose and check valve as well as the JBWeld so my cost on this project was $0. If I had to buy the T1 stuff at a salvage yard for example, I'm guessing $20 for that and $10 for the JBWeld for a typical cost of $30.

Where else can you get an OEM BOV solution that fits like a glove, is this serviceable, you can go to the dealer and get replacement parts for if it tears up, and can't even be seen for $30! ANd if I need to upgrade for more boost, the TU billet BOV is like $110 plus shipping and it also is pretty much a bolt in.

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.