Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I previously showed how I made a tool to remove a crank sprocket. Recently, I had to pull another one and had forgotten how I did the first one. Ironically, I came up with a much simpler solution. My sprocket is the newer 5 bolt type, but a 4 bolt is just as easy.

Here is what the sprocket bolt pattern looks like, for the round and square belt pulleys.

The first step is to make a tool, with 5 holes, for the same bolt pattern. Mark a center hole and space each of the holes 22mm from the center point. Each hole needs to be spaced 1" from the next hole. I made my holes 5/16" diameter, but they can just be made larger, if you make a mistake on the spacing.

If you've never had a sprocket off, here is what the end of the crank looks like. Its hole is threaded for a 12mm bolt.

Thread the center hole for whatever size bolt you plan to use. The bolt that secures the sprocket to the crank is a 12mm thread. Therefore, any smaller diameter bolt can be used, as long as the thread length is sufficient. I used a 10-1.5x 75mm, which came from the suspension.

The 5 bolts, that go into the sprocket, are 8x1.25mm. The lengths don't have to be equal, but you need to get them all tight against the tool.

It will be hard to find a long center bolt that is completely threaded. I used a 2" long rod, which I slid inside the sprocket. That reduces the length needed for the center bolt. Make sure that it is magnetic, or you will have a hard time removing it. It's much easier to use an impact tool, but you can do it with a normal ratchet and socket.

Once you have the sprocket off, you need to remove the spacer from inside the crank. I put a speaker magnet on the end of a bolt.

Hopefully, this will save someone a lot of grief. If nothing else, I'll know where to find the info when I forget how I did this one.

·
Registered
1989 Dodge Shadow 2.5 non turbo 3 speed automatic
223 Posts
image.jpg
image.jpg

This is the one I made.
It’s over built for sure but it worked.
It uses the crank bolt threaded in all the way instead of a spacer like yours.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My plate has been used for other pulling jobs, and I just keep adding new bolt patterns to it. That way I know which tool to grab for most everything.

·
Registered
1989 Dodge Shadow 2.5 non turbo 3 speed automatic
223 Posts
Mine is for in vehicle removal. I think yours would be to large to fit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts