Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
449 Posts
im trying to change the fluid in my tranny but cant find a drain or fill plug. its an a525. can someone help!!
take out the axles, unbolt the trans from the motor. throw the trans into the trash. then buy a 520 or 555.

no but seriously you will not find a drain plug on a 525 i would either pull an axle or pull the diff cover off. personally i would do the axle and jack the car to one side since you will have to re seal it back up and the fact that i can have an axle out in about 15 minutes

· Administrator
26,454 Posts
Chryslers method is to remove the side cover(L/S) and drain, reseal with Mopar Black RTV(Oil Resistant).The fill plug is also located in the side cover.
Fluid Capacity(5w-30 oil) is 2.3 QT's.

· Registered
13,610 Posts
Side cover method sucks.

Sometime, the cover is RTVed on so bad, the only way to get it off is to get the other piece of transmission casing loose too, then you have to RTV the entire transmission case or live with the constant leak of oil.

Do yourself a favor and pry the half shaft out.

· Registered
135 Posts
You can simply remove one of the bolts (lowest one is best) that hold the differential in. If you look at the driver side axle where it meets the trans, it is surrounded by bolts, those are the ones I'm talking about. Jack the car up and down and all kinds of stuff to get it to drain.

I refilled mine with Syncromesh and I love it.

· Banned
532 Posts
take out the axles, unbolt the trans from the motor. throw the trans into the trash. then buy a 520 or 555.

no but seriously you will not find a drain plug on a 525 i would either pull an axle or pull the diff cover off. personally i would do the axle and jack the car to one side since you will have to re seal it back up and the fact that i can have an axle out in about 15 minutes

Sorry, but the 520 is garbage also...its the 555 or 568 that you
want.

And while you have it out take the rear cover off...disassemble the ring gear then drill and tap a hole for a drain plug...

lil off subject.

· Helping when I can
1,327 Posts

· Read Only
129 Posts
You can simply remove one of the bolts (lowest one is best) that hold the differential in. If you look at the driver side axle where it meets the trans, it is surrounded by bolts, those are the ones I'm talking about. Jack the car up and down and all kinds of stuff to get it to drain.

I refilled mine with Syncromesh and I love it.
I realize this thread is old, but for info seekers Just note two things here:

1. Those bolts hold the ring gear bearing carrier or whatever it's called, so when you replace the bolt, torque it to the proper specs just to be safe.

2. Kind of a small hole for draining fluid - hence the recommendation to "jack the car up and down...etc..." - Just a theory, but maybe removing the fill plug will help so that air can follow behind the draining fluid. Also, you likely cant get all of the fluid out this was as it appears there are cavities lower in the differential and side cover areas that won't drain, also if you have metal particle or sediment, it will probably stay in the transmission down in those areas that didn't fully drain.

A tip for the side cover to prevent warping it from prying or pulling the next section of casting loose is to run a utility blade along the RTV bead to break it loose, then use a razor paint scraper to clean up both mating surfaces.

Oh, and the comment on A520's being junk is not at all true - Not everyone needs an A555 or A568, you know. In reverse, the A520 is basically an A555 with different gears. The main weaknesses of the A525 are in the case. Flexing in the case allowed internals to wear and break early. I believe the A520 had shifting improvements over the A525 as well, but maybe not as good as the A555. Unless you have a T-II+ or equivalent, the A520(Or 523 for you H-pattern cars) is a fine gearbox.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.