Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my starter whirls when taken out and hooked to external battery. when its in only the relay closes. its got power to the primary and the solenoid. and its a brand new starter. gotta be the ground? theres no fuses or safteys in the primary power supply line. i herd the pcm grounds the starter? there is no ground wire. it grounds via the casing on the engine block. im goin nuts tryin to figure this out.my dash lights and all work its an 87 dodge dakota 2.2 no turbo, manual tranny. the motor turns if i pop it. just clicks no starter engaging.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
There should be a relatively fat wire going from the battery to the driver's side of the head, also one from the firewall to the pass side rear of the intake and one on the pass side motor mount. You can also put a jumper cable from the battery negative to the head to see if that helps. The parts store can check your starter out for free too while it is out.

Oh and can you turn the engine over by other means, like putting a socket on the creank bolt and turning?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if i hold a wire aginst the starter housing and hook the other end to the neg terminal and it turns this will tell me if it is indeed a bad ground correct? and or if i put my voltmeter to ohms/ground setting and put one end on engie block the other on neg terminal will this tell me? or should i say how do i check ground with a meter?

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
You will have some sort of ground to test 12v regardless, but it may not be able to carry the current needed. I would use the jumper cable to see if that helps. Some aftermarket rebuild are crap too. Or it could be a seized engine. I am not sure how else you could check the ground other than cleaning the cable and making sure the cable is good condition.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how do you mean with the jumper cable? from starter housing to the neg terminal? the motor isnt seized i pushed it and popped the clutch it turned. see its weird because if i take it out of the motor and run it on a eternal battery with a dedicated ground it is fine. when its in only the relay closes but the starter doesnt even engage?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
ps. its a marine battery do ya think it makes a difference it usedto turn the old starter.

the fact that it's a marine battery will make no difference as long as it has the required CCA (not MCA, that rating needs to be higher than a comparable CCA for you car since MCA is a weaker measurment), and is in good working condition.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i wont "fry" anything if i run a ground wire from my starter directly to my neg terminal will i? would my relay close if it werent grounded? i guess since my relay is closing then its gotta be grounded right?

Dodge Grand Caravan No Start
if ya wouldnt mind check this diagram out. see in the last 2 paragraphs
its talkin about being grounded through the pcm? this isnt my year vehicle but its the only thing i could find.

im gonna jump

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Ok if the solenoid is clicking then it is not the relay or the solenoid. So check your battery cables- are they the cheap $2 lead bolt on ends? if so clean those out big time.
Check the ground cable to the head, run the battery jumper cable to engine block and see if that helps. What else could it be? dead starter? Oh and how did this problem start?
Did you replace the starter in hopes to fix this same problem?

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
i wont "fry" anything if i run a ground wire from my starter directly to my neg terminal will i? would my relay close if it werent grounded? i guess since my relay is closing then its gotta be grounded right?

im gonna jump
yeah jump from the negative battery terminal to the head or to the trannycase.

you have a "ground" yes but it is not big enough to carry the current back.

The computer supplies the ground to the relay- a small electric switch on the fender in a td and the "key" turnd sends the power to it which then feeds the solenoid and that sends the "big" power (amperage) over to the starter, which then tryes to return to the battery negative to complete the circuit. My guess is whatever ground you do have is not good enough to feed the power through the starter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea man now were talkin. well went to start 1 day and just a click. so checked bat power 12.4. ok smack starter and try, nothing...remove starter and replacewith good one.. go to start click only.. remove starter check on external battery all is good selonid closes starter turns ? maybe motor seized.. i push it down the street and it turns (not enough to start just to turn it).... put starter back in click agin. check power to the solenoid and get 12...? cant get a lead to check power leaving selonoid when it closes, but it worked fine on the external so im guessin its ok... get my new car started and hook the cables up to it and still just clicks.???? im guessin power positive runs starait off the battery to the relay. once the ignition switch tells the relay to close bam? could there be somthing sensing the ground and stopping it or somthing in the positive lead?at this point i dont know. or like you said clean the battery connectors they look pretty clean but they have been messed with?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sorry didnt see the bottom half of ur last post . just hold the jumper to a clean spot on the block? and connect to neg?

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
sorry didnt see the bottom half of ur last post . just hold the jumper to a clean spot on the block? and connect to neg?
yes-
click --->:fingersx:vrooom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts