Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'96 Dodge Caraven 3.0 v6

I have a 31 TE transmision and I have problems with the accellerator cable. It needs to connect to the shifter/accellerator unit on the transmission but for some reason it does not seem to line up.

I went back to the old transmission to verify and the new transmission seem to exactly the same. So basically I pulled a part and can't figure out how to put it back.......:bang head

I know that it seem to look easy since both items have a flat area so it only seem to fit one way. However, it seem to be more difficult then that.

Can anyone tell me how to get both the shifter cable and accellerator cable back on my van?

Thanks,

·
Administrator
25,738 Posts
THROTTLE CABLE
CAUTION: When servicing the accelerator pedal, throttle cable or speed control cable, do not damage or kink the core wire inside the cable sheathing.

REMOVAL
Working from the engine compartment, hold the throttle body throttle lever in the wide open position.
Remove the throttle cable from the throttle body cam Throttle Cable Attachment to Throttle Body Attachment - 2.4L Engine , Throttle Cable Attachment to Throttle Body Attachment - 3.0L Engine and Throttle Cable Attachment to Throttle Body Attachment - 3.3/3.8L Engines .
From inside the vehicle, hold up the pedal and remove the cable retainer and throttle cable from the upper end of the pedal shaft Accelerator Pedal and Throttle Cable - Front View. .
Remove retainer clip from throttle cable and grommet at dash panel Accelerator Pedal and Throttle Cable - Rear View .
From the engine compartment, pull the throttle cable out of the dash panel grommet. The grommet should remain in the dash panel.
Remove the throttle cable from throttle bracket by carefully compressing both retaining ears simultaneously. Then gently pull the throttle cable from throttle bracket.
INSTALLATION
From the engine compartment, push the housing end fitting into the dash panel grommet.
Install the cable housing (throttle body end) into the cable mounting bracket on the engine.
From inside the vehicle, hold up the pedal and install throttle cable and cable retainer in the upper end of the pedal shaft.
At the dash panel, install the cable retainer clip between the end of the throttle cable fitting and grommet Accelerator Pedal and Throttle Cable - Rear View
From the engine compartment, rotate the throttle lever wide open and install the throttle cable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I think I didn't use the right words on what my problem is. My Van (3.0) has an arm coming from the trottle valve that connects to a lever on the transmission. The parts are a lever with a small ball-joint, a block with a bolt to connect the arm and the lever-to-balljoint, and a spring.

For some reason I do not seem to get these parts connected back. I have contacted haynes, ETX (transmissions), but nobody seem to have a sample of the lever and the trottle valve arm connection.

I am getting to the point where I have everything installed except this "TV" arm.

I hate to stop someone on the road and ask if I can look under the hood....

Any ideas??

·
Administrator
25,738 Posts
So you need the TV Cable/Linkage. You say you have a 31TE, Chrysler only lists a 31TH or 41TE for a 96 Caravan. Give me the last 8 digits of your vin.

·
Administrator
25,738 Posts
This is the only pic I can find, even Chrysler does not have an illustration.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have to check the vin, Which I can provide here in a little while. The transmission I bought is a 670LATE, bolted on a 3.0 V6 Dodge.

Maybe that transmission type might explain more as well.....

Thanks for checking! It would be a great help....

·
Administrator
25,738 Posts
What is a 670 trans and what did it come from?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts