Turbo Dodge Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'll get pics up to you tomorrow, too late and dark to get them right now. The mini 20 fuse is not being used, there was nothing to connect it to...should I have cut out the FL from the ignition? (I don't recall that one being covered)
All the links you get rid of are right in the same spot, but the 20A ignition fuse has wires you need to run the relays correctly, I may have missed that part but I know I mention it later when you put the fuses back in. Well nail it tomorrow for you. Promise. Then if I missed something Ill fix it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Guys, I have been studying this to convert my '88 Lebaron. I just pulled a PDC from a '94 LeBaron on Friday. Your description of the Rad and AC relay wiring was a source of confusion for me. I can verify that there is only one gray jumper on the PDC that I pulled. It ran from one of the maxi fuses to the rad relay. There was no jumper from that to the ac relay. The ac relay got power from one of the mini fuses. I have a feeling that Chrysler changed some of the wiring in the vehicles/pdc from year to year so there could be some variations. Also, it appears that more of the mini fuses are required to be used in the PDC that I have. Unfortunately the cover that I got was from yet a different year LeBaron, so I can't tell what the minies are. Anyway, a word of advice to people that want to do this might be to target the model year that dodge2004srt4 used, because there could definitely be variations on the PDCs. Using the same model year PDC (or at least a PDC with the same relay/fuse diagram under the cover) ultimately means less confusion. I came to the conclusion that if I made a mistake on the wiring, things could get confusing pretty fast.

·
Registered
223 Posts
It's still a great mod to do, just needs to be fine tuned from year/model to year/model. No fault on dodge2004srt4's part, Ma Mopar tended to use whatever was handy at the time to do their wiring with. Without a comprehensive wiring diagram (which the FSM can be VERY misleading on) this can be somewhat difficult to do on "Special option" vehicles like the VNT cars such as mine. I was, unfortunately, pressed for time and hurried (Hobby shop has limited hours) but with careful reading out from pin to pin to get everything plugged up right, this is a MAJOR improvement over the older FL harness.

Benefits gained for me:
1) Car starts almost immediately; it has NEVER done this as long as I've owned it, and neither did the last one I had.
2) Less strain on the charging system; I picked up about 15-20 amps on the charging cycle.
3) No futzing around replacing a burnt FL; pull out the dead fuse, insert a new one...no more tow truck needed in the sticks!
4) Expandability! If you need to add circuits, just plug and play, but be sure to save the wiring you remove, you will need it to install in the PDC!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Oh, I totally agree. I just want to point out that the PDC you choose could have different wiring than what was described in the procedure, as the one from the '94 that I pulled did. I also have one remaining question for dodge2004srt4. Why did you put heat shrink over the blue wire for the rad fan relay? My wiring diagram for the '88 shows that is the signal from the ECM to turn the fan on. Isn't this needed? I just want to make sure that I am not overlooking something. Thanks.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
That blue wire, if I remember from memory is not need because of the jump from the ignition 20A relay. Im going to have to find out how the whole circuit works for the relays in my PDC so I can help Bill out.

AND yes PDC's vary, main reason I listed where I got mine from and my year Daytona with what options I have because they can vary. Also not all the wires are color coded the same, Im guessing they substituted wire if they temp ran out during production.

This was meant for the near noob to complete using this how-to but I still think you have to have an understanding of circuits to be able to double check your work while you go. Bill, as soon as I get your email I will go out to verify your wiring and make notes myself to adjust the how to, I did the whole how-to from memory as I completed each section and I may have missed the info on the ignition fuse because at first I wasnt going to use it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Okay; I sent you pics of the Fan and AC back sides; the red wire to the fan comes off the mini panel, but there's no power to that fuse, I'm going to have to patch in from the power bar when I can get another PDC to cannibalize. I'll be jumpering the fan to get around until payday. I might be getting another harness, so I can wire in the PDC without doing solder splices, I'll go pin-to-pin, and will be adding some feeders for the Narrowband and some other future addons.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Okay; I sent you pics of the Fan and AC back sides; the red wire to the fan comes off the mini panel, but there's no power to that fuse, I'm going to have to patch in from the power bar when I can get another PDC to cannibalize. I'll be jumpering the fan to get around until payday. I might be getting another harness, so I can wire in the PDC without doing solder splices, I'll go pin-to-pin, and will be adding some feeders for the Narrowband and some other future addons.
Lets take this to email or call me to keep the clutter out of the thread.
Check PM.

·
Super Moderator
11,699 Posts
please don't worry about the "clutter" I and (maybe others) have been reading along , in case I run into simular probs when I try to do this

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
please don't worry about the "clutter" I and (maybe others) have been reading along , in case I run into simular probs when I try to do this
Its due to a variation in the PDC used. Also I did not mention taking the blue/white from the 20A ignition fuse and plugging it into the Rad fan relay location 86. The reason the blue wire gets taped off is because there is another jumper in the PDC from the ASD to the ignition 20A mini fuse that takes the place of the wire taped off. Its not a feed for the relay so it also doesnt need to be 12ga like the original.

If everyone used the same PDC from the same year, make, and model, options ect I dont think there would be any issues with wiring. You cant make this complex a how-to to cover every turbo dodge waiting to be converted and every turbo dodge donor for the PDC.

When you follow the instructions blow by blow and come across something that I state but isnt right in your setup, then you WILL have a problem. Twizter is missing a Gray jumper from the Maxi fuse to his Rad fan relay, so there is one thing that would have opened my eyes in the middle of the conversion. In his defense its not a quick conversion so its an easy oversight, though I havent found out where the Red wire came from in his PDC.

It really is best and maybe I should mention that in an edited how-to that if you are going to complete this, FIND the exact same PDC and there will be little risk of complications due to variations in wiring inside the PDC>

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Here are the pics and my response.
dodge2004srt4 said:
Your PDC should have a mini fuse spot for "Ignition 20A" without knowing where your wires go from the relays I cant be of alot of help. The pics were a start and I can only give you my info but you will have to double check.

Some of your wire locations are reversed, now that may or may not make a difference but some relays have a diode going one way between term 85 and 86. There should be a schematic on the side of the relay, if it does you may want to reverse them. Verify this before you switch them, but please verify and dont assume.

Just making sure but, did you do this one wire at a time?

AC relay
Term 85 and 86 are reversed. Unless the relays are missing the diode. Everything else looks good.

Rad fan relay
You should have had 2 gray jumpers coming off the AC,RAD Maxi fuse. One should go to term 30 where that red wire is. The other one went to the AC relay term 30
Second term 85 and 86 are reversed, The Black/pink should be going to harness, and the blue/wh should be going to the "ignition 20A"

Ignition 20A, blue/white goes to the 86 terminal for the Rad fan so that you have engine running fan control. The Blue wire jumps to the ASD relay terminal 86. This fuse is not hot at all times, only when the ASD is working. The fuse is there incase on relay burns up the other doesnt. Along with the jumper.

Looking from the perspective of your pics
top term 30
left term 85
right term 86
bottom term 87
Your relays should be
AC
30 Gray (from Maxi Fuse)
85 Black/orange
86 Green
87 Blue/Black
Rad Fan
30 Gray (from Maxi Fuse)
85 Blue/pink (harness)
86 Blue/white (from Ignition 20A)
87 Green

If you dont have a double jumper off the Maxi fuse for the rad/ac control its possible that the vehicle you got the PDC from did not have AC or it was dealer installed and they didnt change the PDC. Just a thought. If you have any questions, call me.

Chris.

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Chris. Learning more as I read the posts. The PDC from the '94 that I have has the blue wire from the ASD going to one terminal in the ignition fuse. The other terminal in the fuse goes to the radiator fan relay. I still don't understand how this can replace the blue wire from the original relay, but it must somehow be common with the ASD. I need to study my wiring diagram some more.

I only have a single gray wire coming out of the maxi and going to the radiator fan relay. No jumper to the ac clutch relay. However, the location of what would be the gray wire in slot 30 for the ac clutch relay is a red wire that goes to a mini fuse slot. It is probably an 18 or 20 gauge wire. The other terminal for that fuse is a 12 G black wire that feeds power. So this must work in place of the gray wire. I suspect that the AC clutch does not pull a lot of current so you don't need a low gauge wire. So I should be able to go with the PDC that I have. This just goes to show that there are variations from year to year, but with a little time thinking about it, they can be figured out.

Thanks for the time that you've taken to help us out. This is a worth while upgrade and after reading all of your posts, I have a much better grasp of this.

Chris

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Chris. Learning more as I read the posts. The PDC from the '94 that I have has the blue wire from the ASD going to one terminal in the ignition fuse. The other terminal in the fuse goes to the radiator fan relay. I still don't understand how this can replace the blue wire from the original relay, but it must somehow be common with the ASD. I need to study my wiring diagram some more.

I only have a single gray wire coming out of the maxi and going to the radiator fan relay. No jumper to the ac clutch relay. However, the location of what would be the gray wire in slot 30 for the ac clutch relay is a red wire that goes to a mini fuse slot. It is probably an 18 or 20 gauge wire. The other terminal for that fuse is a 12 G black wire that feeds power. So this must work in place of the gray wire. I suspect that the AC clutch does not pull a lot of current so you don't need a low gauge wire. So I should be able to go with the PDC that I have. This just goes to show that there are variations from year to year, but with a little time thinking about it, they can be figured out.

Thanks for the time that you've taken to help us out. This is a worth while upgrade and after reading all of your posts, I have a much better grasp of this.

Chris
The blue wire provided power to the Rad fan to energize it once the SMEC grounded the other terminal. My PDC has a small 18 gauge wire jumped as it does not need to be a large gauge wire. SO that wire left over in your harness is no longer needed, it was resolved in the PDC already. You guys really should be looking for PDC's closer to your model years, 90-92 as I stated, the earlier the better. Heck I would have used a 2004 SRT-4 PDC since I have one sitting here collecting dust but it did not have the quick connections for the battery and Alternator. It will get totally confusing using a PDC from too late a year just because they changed stuff and colors too. Seriously I cant emphasize how important it is to follow an instruction to the letter or un needed issue will arise. Once I find out a way to add the sentence I missed, I am going to BOLD 90-92 PDC only so there arent any more issues.

I can get anyone who wants a proper PDC the correct one, and have it prepared for you so you are that much closer to finishing it. I have access to about a dozen of them. Would only take me an hour max to pick out the wires, clean it up, and box it for shipping after I pull it from the car.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. I was digging in the wiring diagrams and saw that the DB wire was the ignition and there were two splices that made it common between the ASD relay and the Rad fan. So I guess that you could simply use the blue wire in the car and totally bypass the ignition mini fuse if you wanted to. After this latest round, I think I've got it! Thanks again.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Pulled another PDC from the yard today; there is a jumper from the ASD relay to the rad fan relay that is not there on mine, so I will be splicing it in tomorrow.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Got herall sorted out no; there is a black/whire stirped wire in the PDC; cut the FL out of the pink wire that goes to the gray plug, it's a power feed; splice the black/white wire to the pink wire coming from the 50 pin connector (or do what I did, unpin the connectors from the donor car and your car, then you just replace the pink wire with the black/white wire to the 50 pin). Then remove the pink wire from the gray plug, and replace it with the pink wire from the PDC. Once that was done, everything worked. I used a PDC from a 1995 LeBaron Coupe, only had to splice 4 wires. All the rest I un pinned them from the connectors. NOTE: You cannot use later model pins in 90 & below SBEC connectors. They are a different internal diameter and will not make contact with the pin on the SBEC. I (re-)did mine in conjunction with re-looming the harness, and adding a couple of signal and ground taps for some gauges.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well I went back to the yard and pulled a PDC from a 1991 LeBaron. This one is identical to the one used by dodge2004srt4. All of the wires that were missing in the PDC that I pulled originally from the 1994 LeBaron were there. If anyone decides to do this, the best PDC to get that most closely resembles the pre-1991 wiring is from the 91 or 92 LeBaron or Daytona. Note that these are easy to distinguish on the LeBaron because the PDC contains the 3 relays for the headlight door operation. Anyway, I've put together an excel spread sheet that matches up the wires from my '88 LeBaron to the PDC. This also includes the pin numbers for the Bosch relays. It is pretty close to done, but I will post it once it is finished. If anyone wants it now, PM me with your e-mail address.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Dear Boostaholic, Sunday December 2, 2012
I’ve got an 87 Daytona & was getting ready to replace the fusible link wires with blade style inline fuse holders. Nothing like being in the middle of nowhere and have something like that go wrong. But then, I came across your thread to install a Power Distribution Center. I tried my local junk yards and they’ve recycled all the old cars. I could get a different kind but from experience it’s always easier to follow someone else's success and skip all my screw ups. Any idea where I could get a 92 LaBaron PDC???
DDBob.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts