Turbo Dodge Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
G/J-body PDC's didn't start until 1991. They lasted until both models retired: '93 for the G, '95 for the J.

Several others have used fuse/relay boxes from Fords, Neons, Y-bodies, probably others. You just have to have a basic understanding of DC electrics, wiring diagram, and soldering skills. Take your time and it will work.

·
Registered
145 Posts
A few tips to smooth this mod.

Just got a 91 LeBaron PDC & unfortunately not the same as in this example with a different part # (4661147) and a few amperage differences but we'll make it work. I did this in the rain so take these few tips.
Removing the 50 pin dock connector isn't as easy as described because wires from other hardware get interwoven into the bundle. Also you'll probably have to remove the cruse control module bracket, requires a 10mm deep socket or lots of patience with a 10mm wrench (crescent wrench won't work). The PDC mounting bracket was held to the fender with large plastic pop rivets. Take a long handled chisel as using a screwdriver took a long time. If you choose to just cut the wires (what I eventually did) you still need to remove the cruse control but not necessarily the bracket. Cut the wrap tape to get as much of the wire as possible. Some of the tape was very tough so make sure your knife is sharp. Take good large wire cutters as the bundle is very thick and this way you can cut through a lot of wire quickly. Also there were a few cable ties that had to go.
Warning:
The module was $23.65 but then the cashier said the fuses were $1-2 extra each and relays $5 each. Pissed me off as they didn't tell me that first and there's no way of knowing if the relays are good so I pulled & returned them all. I'll install new Smart Glow fuses & Bosch type relays for less. I foolishly didn't look around first, walking to the cashier I noticed there were other Chrysler vehicles with better PDCs that would've been much easier to remove. Just get one with lots of fuse & relay holders. Big tip; before paying remove the fuses and relays and put them in your sock.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Ok, time for me to try and do this on a 90 2.5 auto. Since I already have Bosch relays for the Rad/Fan, A/C Clutch, ASD, I'm guessing that I can just swap the wires from the plugs at the relays with the corresponding ones in the PDC, right? Which means that the only thing I'll be converting other than the FLs is the starter relay which is where I have a question or two. My starter relay has a Bn/Bl and a Yellow (no tracer) rather than a Bn/Y and a Y/Bk wire as in the thread. The PDC I have has a Single yellow wire rather than a double again as in the thread. It (the PDC) also has a Bn/Bl so I'm guessing that I just need to swap the Bn/Bl wires and the Y wires between the old relay and the PDC. The thread says that the Black wire (FL) can be discarded as the PDC has a jumper going from the starter relay pin 30 to the ignition fuse. I'm concerned about this because pin 30 is not part of the starter relay, rather its part of the ASD relay. I'm hoping that this is just a misprint and what was meant was that it goes from Pin 32 to the ignition fuse....Anybody???

BTW, This is an excellent thread, much kudos to the author and all who have contributed!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Thanks for the thanks! This job is not quick or painless and i would take your time planning it, getting your parts, and completing the job. I would not recommend cutting corners, or using 25 year old relays, the newer, the better cause they corrode and will short over time. Ask your u-pull it if they charge extra for fuses or relays FIRST! If you pocket them, its stealing, at your risk!!

Looks like the pics are no longee hosted, you can visit this site. I gave the pics and write up to the web master back in 2010.

daytonaturbo.com - Power Distribution Center Upgrade

Thanks to all!
Chris

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Banner to U-rob it to aspect for a PDC and attach...scheduling on doing a lot of de-pinning to do this, just to save the number of splices down. Anyone know a home to get new colour coded wire from? I would like to do a far-reaching re-wire of the train bay when I do the Presto-mod in a few years.

PREVENTATIVE VEHICLE MAINTENANCE

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey everyone!, super excited to dive into my conversion and project, thanks to this awesome Sticky. I just have a question for anyone familiar with this conversion on a Lm/pm harness... i have completed almost all the fuses and upgraded from the Fusible Links and the few relays that apply to my factory harness. Firstly, i have done my research and as most people upgrade their Lm/Pm to the smec and this how to is based upon the smec, i will say i researched the relays involved and they are the same part numbers from the Lm/Pm to smec so this conversion applies to my harness the same, however i was curious about one little lonely wire that is attached to the PDM. it is the one wire not jumped from the radiator fan relay, coming from the atm fuse slot for the 20a ignition fuse. excuse my ignorance but i have been looking through wiring schematics and cant pinpoint its home, any help would be appreciated. i'm thinking it stays dead due to a fuse under the dash for the ignition but, i haven't made it that far.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
I think I have found another source for a similar PDM. '94 & '95 Jeep Cherokees have one that I plan to use for my next project. I used the Jeep's '96 to 2000 for my Laser, but that is larger than the LeBaron's.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi Bob, it's been a long time, I lost a lot of info from the site must of crashed, however i'm up and running again. Sorry I couldn't keep in touch with u. Regards Edg.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Iwould like to do this mod but space is limited under the hood of my TII 84 Rampage. Was at the JY the other day and found a PDC out of 95 neon. Looked promising but after measuring (about 7"x3") too big for the space available. Still looking for a solution.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi boostaholic, how would u like to build one for me, to tell u the truth it scares me just by looking at it. Now I have no idea if it's possible or not for u to build something like that because i'm in Canada also which wire to connect where ect. but I think it's a great idea to convert the system, I just don't want to mess with it. What do u think. Regards. Errol.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts