Turbo Dodge Forums banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I've had several crossdrilled g-heads. Like Harry was saying, the later MP g-heads were crossdrilled. I also have a 287 Mexican cast g-head. That is very unusual. The part # has a different style of numbering on the head.
BTW- at least some carbed L-bodies still used the G-head through 87. They did not discontinue completely after the swirl head was introduced in 86. I've seen many with 86 and 87 casting dates on them. I'm not sure if it was a emission thing or what, but what I have seen was only carb L-bodies seem to have got the g-head after the intro of the swirl in 86. Might have been something weird like manual tranny only carbed l-bodies received the g-head.
I too have a NOS G-head that is crossdrilled. Still have it. This was bought from Mopar and not MP, although it does have the heart shaped stamp on it. It is a 91 casting date. Still sitting in it's Mopar box. Here is a couple pics I just snapped.
There are plenty of odd or unusual parts that seem to be a contradiction to what is considered normal stock.

Attachments

·
Banned
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
We learn a lot through sharing!

Lets say for example...you have a non-cross drilled block, and a both side (dual) cross drilled head. You install a '006' MP head gasket. (See post #33 or the re-post pic below). So now you have blocked the triangular water passages on both sides of the cyl.

What do you think would happen? Would the car run fine and not over heat but maybe be more prone to blowing the head gasket? Would it be more prone to detonation when warmed up or under high boost?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
We learn a lot through sharing!

Lets say for example...you have a non-cross drilled block, and a both side (dual) cross drilled head. You install a '006' MP head gasket. (See post #33 or the re-post pic below). So now you have blocked the triangular water passages on both sides of the cyl.

What do you think would happen? Would the car run fine and not over heat but maybe be more prone to blowing the head gasket? Would it be more prone to detonation when warmed up or under high boost?
GREAT questions!
And, I personally, will ONLY use the gasket that matches the work done to the head and block.
And will only use the head that matches the block(Either way).
ie: Double cross dril; Double cross drill matching gasket, etc. :D

·
Banned
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I just took the head off my 85 and that is what I found. Non cross drilled block, dbl cross drilled head, 006 head gasket....blown cyl #2 but have not yet pulled the piston so don't know the why yet. No top side piston damage visible maybe a broken ring or two but cyl walls look fine.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
you should be able to measure the angle of the cross drilled holes pretty easily by inserting a drill bit of the same size and using a simple protractor..i could do this on my swirl head, but not on my block because that engine is actually up and running at the moment

signsoflife: im curious why you went with smaller 6an on the coolant mod? you seem to be very interested in increasing cooling capacity.

as far as starting the holes in the block, if i were machining it id probably start it with a very short stub end mill, possibly followed by a center drill, and then drill it

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
you should be able to measure the angle of the cross drilled holes pretty easily by inserting a drill bit of the same size and using a simple protractor..i could do this on my swirl head, but not on my block because that engine is actually up and running at the moment

signsoflife: im curious why you went with smaller 6an on the coolant mod? you seem to be very interested in increasing cooling capacity.

as far as starting the holes in the block, if i were machining it id probably start it with a very short stub end mill, possibly followed by a center drill, and then drill it
See; I told you that you needed to check this out.

The -6AN was a decision I made for the space really.
And, because I happened to have the fittings here.
If you noticed, I set it up a bit different.
For the connection to the T-Stat, I used a straight fitting in the lower coolant hole.
I wasn't fond of the upper mount of the line because it would then become the highest point of the entire cooling system.
(In my car anyway)
In addition to the 4th cyl coolant mod, I'll need 2 holes.
For this, I'll use a "Y" adapter.

I guess the answer is that, I wasn't comfortable with the top mount of the fitting.
I felt it was too easy of a path for air to be trapped.
I may be wrong but, it relieved my concern. :thumb:

·
Banned
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Here is what a little extra heat and detonation will get you! I'd rather spend a little time learning how to cross drill an early block then experience this again. This happened after just a second of detonation at 14 psi of boost.

BTW, it's a federal mogul replacement cast piston.

Attachments

·
Banned
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Does anyone have a cross drilled block that they can use to determine the angle of the hole and how deep it actually goes?

It seems that the deck surface is only about 1/4 or 3/8" thick and the angle seems to be about 45*.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I have a 87 Block in my garage, but Idk how I would measure the angle...

Also that head looks familiar, is that the one you sold to my cousin?
Put a drill bit into the hole and use a protractor to get the angle.

Yes, that's the one. It was a real difficult thing for me to sell.
I wanted it SO bad!

·
Banned
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
If you will just put a straight thick wire into the hole, and tell us the length of the exposed wire and the length straight down to the block deck we can easily calculate the third side and then the angle using the pythagrean theorem (a^2 + b^2 = c^2)

·
Premium Member
2,549 Posts
Um yeah whats a Pro Tractor gonna do. for ya? Pull it out of the garage?
Tractor_pull_02.jpg :rofl2: Keep up the good work guys/ Following this thread close. Seems to be an easy mistake to make between heads and gasket and block. So following this one close seeing as how blocks in the shop and already has three of the six holes .

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Here is what a little extra heat and detonation will get you! I'd rather spend a little time learning how to cross drill an early block then experience this again. This happened after just a second of detonation at 14 psi of boost.

BTW, it's a federal mogul replacement cast piston.
I thought those federal mogul are hyper pistons.

·
Banned
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Federal has two styles of pistons available for the 2.2. The hyper pistons have an 'H' appended to the part #. I actually spoke to the FM rep about this and that is what he told me. Checking online sources for their pistons, the turbo pistons that I found online did not contain the 'H' designation, the NA/TBI pistons often did. I didn't find any sources that listed the 'H' designated pistons as for turbo applications...of course they will fit I believe.

·
Banned
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
HELP! HELP!
Can anyone try to get the angle and depth of the block cross drill hole. I have started to try and cross drill a block at approximately 60% on an angle and the hole is so far 1.5" deep and I've yet to hit the water jacket. I'm getting concerned the angle needs to be steeper, more like 75* or even more. I can see by looking in through the other holes in the block deck the deck thickness is only like 3/8" and I would have thought I would have broken through by now. I am obviously going right between the cyls at this point and there is very little room for wiggle...

I need an angle and a depth if at all possible. I've included a 30-60-90 triangle and a protractor below to try to help.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
HELP! HELP!
Can anyone try to get the angle and depth of the block cross drill hole. I have started to try and cross drill a block at approximately 60% on an angle and the hole is so far 1.5" deep and I've yet to hit the water jacket. I'm getting concerned that if I go much deeper I will poke through to the oil pan area...bad bad bad.

I need an angle and a depth if at all possible. I've included a 30-60-90 triangle and a protractor below to try to help.
the oil pan area?

id help but my engines assembled..someone here must have a block out

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
My block isn't cross-drilled but, my head is and,
the angle is 45 degrees.

Print this out and check:

:D

EDIT: OOPS, sorry Steve.
Someone has to have access to a cross drilled block.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts