Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just recently my 89 2.5 t2 lebaron gtc started feeling like im driving a metro... When i put my foot to the floor she doesnt pull like she used to, i could snap peoples heads back before and now i cant even spin my tires in 2nd... im worried it may be my headgasket or something... What things could cause sudden drastic loss in acceleration power??? My vacuum is the same as before, 17 at idle. I just recently switched to Synthetic Mobil 1... It has been about 500km since oil change im running 5w30 same as i was with my regular oil. It does burn oil but not on startup. Thanks, Kyle.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Well this could be a lot of things.

ALWAYS start by checking codes. They're your only friend with these computerized, overly complex cars.

To throw some other things out there, your timing could be off, or your CAT could be clogged(if ya have one).

How are you checking vacuum? 17 is in the ballpark i guess.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no cel on but will check codes tomorrow, I have no cat, 2.5inch mandrel bent ss with a glasspack. I have an autometer boost gauge that goes 30 vac to 30 boost psi. Yeah, I can here a bit of a vac leak but I don't see why this is all of a sudden. Maybe a clogged filter?

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I doubt its a fuel filter. If the car would start at all, you'd be leaning out, stalling, bad starting, etc.

Headgasket should also produce other symptoms, such as bubbles in the radiator when the car is still cold, steaming a lot out the exhaust, coolant in oil, oil in coolant.

Just how bad is this? You say you can no longer spin your tires in 2nd, but that doesn't exactly make the car crippled.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
if you blow a IC line your turbo will max out without opening the wastegate, makes it run like it has a banana in the tail pipe.

did you stick a home made cold air intake on it? One guy on the other forum did and the hose squashed flat during boost lol

The sudden loss is normally a leak though between the turbo and the intake. Head gaskets and other things hurt it but not like blockage some where.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
5/30 synthetic or a blend is all i have ever ran, what should i run? 15/40? 20/50?
I'll do alittle explaning here.

The turbocharger gets very hot ( sometimes red hot ) up to 3200 d F hot.
Now thats pretty hot.
The oil part.
First off with the temp that high lets use an example of a thin oil
Ahh I have one.
Imagine a frying pan with oil in it you put it on a red hot burner on the stove and you leave it there, Its gets hot then it starts to smoke and change color.
The oil is now very thin like water ( moves around the pan ) It dosent really coat the pan very well anymore does it? ( THIS IS USED AS AN EXAMPLE DO NOT TRY THIS PEOPLE )

The same goes for the oil in your car, It gets hot gets thinner the hotter the temp gets.Now shove that through the turbo making it even hotter, The viscosity of the oil begins to break down, so how much oil are you lubricating the bearing in the turbo, Not much.
When the oil gets thinned out and your boosting the turbo alot, The oil starts a process called "coking" the oil accually burns to the point of becoming a powdered substaince mixed within the oil it gets shoved in to bearing surfaces and starts scratching the surfaces and creating scoring marks on the bearings,Thus creating premature ware on the bearings.Whats worse is the oil passages within the turbo start filling up with the "coke" and sticking to the sides of the passages and slowly starts impeding the oil from passing through the passages within the turbocharger letting less oil through.The turbos bearings are scratched and wearing out more and more causing shaft play, or the oil has stopped flowing quick enough that the bearing starts to get over heated and then starts to "stick" more and more untill the bearing becomes seized and the turbo then is done.

I have used 20/50 in my turbo dodges and chryslers and I haven't had to replace one yet.
I do not drive my cars in the winter months.

My list

10/30 ( good protection )
15/40 ( better protection )
20/50 ( best protection )

It also depends on do you drive in the winter if yes then 10/30 winter
do you drive in hot climates like Arizona? Then 20/50

it has a lot to do with outside temps and locations as well as highway,long distance,short drives, City, stop n go , etc.

·
Administrator
26,194 Posts
I have been running 5W-30 Mobil 1 in my VNT for 22 years with no issues.
Synthetics are not prone to heat breakdown like conventional oil and can handle much higher temps.
After all the SRT-8 uses 0W-40 Mobil 1 from the factory.
(Now 5W-40 after Chryslers new contract with Quaker State, QS does not make a 0W-40.)

You stated the car lost power but did not mention if RPM's were limited(can not get over a certain RPM) or if you were able to build boost.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Ok, well it happens at about 3000rpm, it kinda flattens out and you stop feeling the pull. When it is just first warming up it pulls pretty decent still. It still revs as high as it did before. i'm wondering now if maybe the fifth injector is coming on and giving her to much fuel. i am burning quite a bit of oil but its only after it has warmed up. It has all ss lines to the turbo but i don't know how old they are.

Edit: i can still build boost and it still boosts up to 10psi (i know its not the right psi, its not hooked up to computer.) It does seem like it takes a while longer to fully spool though...

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
10 PSI with a stock computer and a 5th injector is drowning the engine with fuel to the point of eating the rings. Oil burning warmed up is either the piston rings or the oil ring in the turbo. Normally the turbo turbine side ring leaks when they get hot.

If your running a 5th injector like that I'd worry the oil is destroyed from fuel too, would be wise to unplug it and change your oil.

With a 14 PSI boost cut out set normally you run the 5th at 16 PSI up to 18-19 PSI. Really I rip that thing off and get a 3 bar computer before damaging the engine

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So today it ran awesome first thing, cold and wet out. Later today 5min ago it starts to feel like it's not getting enough air or something. It just revs high but doesn't pull, I can't see the slightly colder air causing the car to go from snapping me into my seat to not even feeling like I'm giving it more gas, I was about full throttle and it had less balls then half throttle this morning...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, i did notice that it seems when it gets to that third notchon the tempgauge it starts to do this. It doesnt overheat and the fan comes on but it just goes so slow. I might be selling it soon to buy my dads 1975 montego 2dr 351m with a bunch done... it runs smoother starts faster and is in all around better shape and its mostly all original.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.