Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1990 Dodge Spirit 2.5 4Cyl NA (throttle body)
I just rebuilt the engine about 200 miles ago. It's had its first oil change.

But I keep having to fill the coolant. (half a gal per week-ish )

It does not have any puddles when parked.
It idles and drives fine.
No excessive moisture from tail pipe.
I see no evidence of a spray / leak from a hose or connection (all new hoses, radiator, heater, crossover).

What other things can I check? What would I expect if the head gasket were leaking?

Thanks
Lee

·
Registered
112 Posts
well... I'll tell you what's happening on mine... my water pump is actually seeping coolant... not tons... but the faster the pump turns the more it leaks.

That's getting replaced this weekend.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Have you been running it hard for awhile, that much loss sounds like you would have to be beating on the car or a horrible leak.

How does the overflow tank look? pretty full? could be a worn out radiator cap.

Is there a leak inside the car or a sweet smell, could be heater core.

Otherwise i'd aim for a waterpump

If a headgasket was leaking there would be discolor in the radiator and lots of bubbles, and coolant in the oil, which you could drain the oil and see.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Time to pressure test the cooling system.... with the engine cold & with the engine warmed up. Look for any obvious seeable leaks, then try pulling the spark plugs and see if there is any fluid in the cylinders....:(

·
Administrator
25,738 Posts
Read the "sticky","overheating version 2.0" in the "help" section. I posted Chryslers complete cooling system diagnostics running hot/overheating in there.
Also if you are burning coolant you may not see actual coolant in the cylinder but that spark plug will be cleaner than the others.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts