Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1990 Dodge Spirit 2.5 4Cyl NA (throttle body)
I just rebuilt the engine about 200 miles ago. It's had its first oil change.

But I keep having to fill the coolant. (half a gal per week-ish )

It does not have any puddles when parked.
It idles and drives fine.
No excessive moisture from tail pipe.
I see no evidence of a spray / leak from a hose or connection (all new hoses, radiator, heater, crossover).

What other things can I check? What would I expect if the head gasket were leaking?

Thanks
Lee

· Registered
1,151 Posts
Have you been running it hard for awhile, that much loss sounds like you would have to be beating on the car or a horrible leak.

How does the overflow tank look? pretty full? could be a worn out radiator cap.

Is there a leak inside the car or a sweet smell, could be heater core.

Otherwise i'd aim for a waterpump

If a headgasket was leaking there would be discolor in the radiator and lots of bubbles, and coolant in the oil, which you could drain the oil and see.

· Registered
971 Posts
Time to pressure test the cooling system.... with the engine cold & with the engine warmed up. Look for any obvious seeable leaks, then try pulling the spark plugs and see if there is any fluid in the cylinders....:(

· Administrator
26,460 Posts
Read the "sticky","overheating version 2.0" in the "help" section. I posted Chryslers complete cooling system diagnostics running hot/overheating in there.
Also if you are burning coolant you may not see actual coolant in the cylinder but that spark plug will be cleaner than the others.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.