• Nothing it's gonna run great

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Nothing it won't even run

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had this 88 Reliant 2.2 a year now and finally got to doing a Turbo swap.

Problem is the Turbo pistons I was going to use are hyper-cracks I just found out and the other set are C size. This motor is B size so smaller bore.

So I threw a Head intake Garrett Turbo setup on the Tbi block as is with the flat top pistons.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Auto part

Question is once it's running (on 86 T1 electronics) whats going to break first
Pistons
Tbi trans
Nothing it's gonna be fine.

Also going to back off ign timing and it has a new knock sensor so it might hold up at 5-6psi?

Already have a 2.5T1 and a few Turbo trannies to choose from down the road for a more permanent build.

This is just to get the electronics,exhaust etc sorted and driving so it's not sitting for months in pieces like most people's projects.

I want it in a condition where I can drop the motor/trans swap it out same day have it driving.

I see many of these cars in pieces no Head etc getting junked because people just gave up so going to do the no no quick build just to get it running....

· Registered
1984 Dodge Rampage Turbo
250 Posts
Just curious, what is a 'No, no"?

Is it using the flat top pistons with the turbo resulting in too much compression?

Is the biggest concern detonation? So you would want to be conservative on the timing and boost?

If detonation is main issue, would not running E85 work with this kind of combo to alleviate the detonation?

· Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just curious, what is a 'No, no"?

Is it using the flat top pistons with the turbo resulting in too much compression?

Is the biggest concern detonation? So you would want to be conservative on the timing and boost?

If detonation is main issue, would not running E85 work with this kind of combo to alleviate the detonation?
Yeah the 2.2 TBI is the highest compression of all these engines 9.5 to 1. (Maybe the 84 Shelby 2.2 was over 10:1 but dunno)

Most of the Turbo cars are 8.1-8.5:1 on the high end and the 2.5 T1 is 7.8:1

My 2.5 G head combo is probably 7.5:1

Tons of stories of exploding/melted Tbi pistons from doing what I'm doing but I'm gonna take it slow and see where it leads.

Found this old thread so it might be possible.

· Registered
10 Posts
Consider water-alcohol injection to avoid detonation. Used to have head gasket failures with my turbo caravan. fixed it by installing receiver grooves and copper wire O-rings on block deck and ARP head studs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts