Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up yall, i got a question. i just changed my head gasket . i have all the timing set. all the wires were there soposed to go... no when i go to turn the key the car donst even wana crank it donst do any thing.. any ideas of what i missed of need to check???

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
the ground for the battery is hooked to the head and removed during a head gasket change. It could have been missed during assembly

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay so i check every thing.. the wire going to the tranny wasnt on.. now it cranks... my timing is off because i have good constant spark.. wich i hope and i smell the fuel going in .. on the crank case what degree should i time the motor for best runing

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Did it start or do you have the cam 180* out?
Engine at TDC the little slot in the cam sprocket should be on top.
Can't static time these engines. Once it's running, 12* BTDC is stock. Set with a light and coolant sensor disconnected.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
okay i got it runing with the crank on 8 degrees/ (best i could do for now) next QUESTION....
the motor is runing strong.. but when i acc. the turbo isnt spolling rite . there is oil also coming out the front of the turbo just when it spolls like it spits out oil when boosting

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
It ain't supposed to do that. Unless you have some sort of restriction involving the oil drain back tube this is a seal problem which is inside the turbo. Unfortunately, no easy fix for that. ...

·
Banned
3 Posts
i would get under the car and re adjust the rubber hose on the oil return line, if the turbo was good when you pulled it, it should still be good, if its a used one it may be bad. it shouldnt be able to leak outside of the turbo, just the oil feed and return line, if the seals are bad in the turbo it would blow out the exhaust and the oil mess would be on your back bumper and window.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i would get under the car and re adjust the rubber hose on the oil return line, if the turbo was good when you pulled it, it should still be good, if its a used one it may be bad. it shouldnt be able to leak outside of the turbo, just the oil feed and return line, if the seals are bad in the turbo it would blow out the exhaust and the oil mess would be on your back bumper and window.
when the turbo was off the motor this week it had a liltte movment on the blade, so i gess u would call that shaft play? would this mean i need a rebild kit for the turbo? it is also smokes when i floor it to try and spoll it... when i let off the gass the bov donst sound rite it makes a wired noise now..... its not a bad spit of oil spraying out the turbo its tiny but i kinda think ur rite about it goin:bash::bang head ... god how much more money do i have to invest im useing all my school money on this car ! lol.... when it should be beer!:thumb:

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
drop in a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil. The stuff will swell your seals and clear the bearings and drain in the turbo. Then run Royal Purple oil.

On the timing you need at least 12 before, never less. I like 14-15 as this is like a crank trigger for the injectors. At 14 the engine revs better for me, the timing at the plugs doesn't change much but I like the fuel shooting earlier.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
drop in a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil. The stuff will swell your seals and clear the bearings and drain in the turbo. Then run Royal Purple oil.

On the timing you need at least 12 before, never less. I like 14-15 as this is like a crank trigger for the injectors. At 14 the engine revs better for me, the timing at the plugs doesn't change much but I like the fuel shooting earlier.

would i blow my motor with it at 8? 14- 15 really???? isnt that for more top end?

·
Banned
3 Posts
yeah your car is severely retarded, lol. lowering the degrees is retarding, raising is advancing, just dont run past 15 degrees or you could blow it.

if the pope says to run the marvel oil, do it!

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
would i blow my motor with it at 8? 14- 15 really???? isnt that for more top end?

never run less than 12 unless you run nitrous. I ran 10 and my car would cough and spit and hardly wanted to run, just pissed off the computer. The higher timing helps in many ways, not just top end. In fact it helps fueling but the spark hurts top end techincally.

Will it blow up at 8 before? No it would want to blow up at 18 before though. 8 before gives the fuel real late, less mixxing. There isn't anything but nitrous protection at 8 degrees, for every other reason run 12-14.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
never run less than 12 unless you run nitrous. I ran 10 and my car would cough and spit and hardly wanted to run, just pissed off the computer. The higher timing helps in many ways, not just top end. In fact it helps fueling but the spark hurts top end techincally.

Will it blow up at 8 before? No it would want to blow up at 18 before though. 8 before gives the fuel real late, less mixxing. There isn't anything but nitrous protection at 8 degrees, for every other reason run 12-14.

okay so i redid the timing, i have it set at 15. next question is the car is alot faster to.but, If i was to press gass pedal half way or more when i let go the car smokes just for a split snd, what could cause this ??? it is only after i let go of the gass .. it is kinda wirred:bang head

1 - 16 of 16 Posts