Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I highlighted the wire color (yellow) and the boot in grey because it was hard to see in the pic. The switch it goes to is on the forward side of the block below the fuel filter. This is on an 84 Horizon btw.

The connector boot just sits there. Where does it go (if anywhere?)

And also I'm looking for the radiator fan switch. The service manual points it out on being near the top of the driver side of the radiator, but I only see coolant hoses...nothing electrical. Where is my switch?

(this is the driver side corner of the radiator looking down)

· Registered
3,600 Posts
I highlighted the wire color (yellow) and the boot in grey because it was hard to see in the pic. The switch it goes to is on the forward side of the block below the fuel filter. This is on an 84 Horizon btw.

The connector boot just sits there. Where does it go (if anywhere?)

And also I'm looking for the radiator fan switch. The service manual points it out on being near the top of the driver side of the radiator, but I only see coolant hoses...nothing electrical. Where is my switch?

(this is the driver side corner of the radiator looking down)

mid 1984 that switch was moved to the head by the thermostat. see if u got one there

· Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's by the thermostat:

Which one of the connectors?

Then there's the switch that I previously took a picture of (concerning the yellow wire), but with my digital camera instead of my phone.

What is this?

And another what is this? The pink wire?

· Registered
3,600 Posts
Here's by the thermostat:

Which one of the connectors?

Then there's the switch that I previously took a picture of (concerning the yellow wire), but with my digital camera instead of my phone.

What is this?

And another what is this? The pink wire?

the mystery not connected yellow wire is for an oil pressure gauge some of these cars had 2 sensors of oil pressure one 4 light 1 for gauge. in your picture, I see the fan switch. i'll assume u can figure out its the one does not have vacuum lines. get yourself a wiring diagram and u can figure out what the pink wire is all about.

· Helping when I can
1,327 Posts
pink wire goes to either a thermistor or a switch depending on whether or not you have a temp gauge or a dummy light.

· Registered
3,600 Posts
pink wire goes to either a thermistor or a switch depending on whether or not you have a temp gauge or a dummy light.
these engines never used a switch for the guage. it is a thermistor and this pink wire into the thermistor will change resistance with engine temp which in turn will change the gauge needle reading. ive never seen one of these cars w/o a temp gauge.

· Helping when I can
1,327 Posts
these engines never used a switch for the guage. it is a thermistor and this pink wire into the thermistor will change resistance with engine temp which in turn will change the gauge needle reading. ive never seen one of these cars w/o a temp gauge.
I have... seriously nothing special - just a speedo and not much else.

remember this thread about not having the temp gauge;):
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f60/172833-can-t-find-radiator-cooling-fan.html

this is the same car:)

· Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

· Registered
3,600 Posts
He's right. All I have (from left to right) Is a fuel gauge, a speedo, and a battery voltage gauge. :bash:
oh that's right, its been a long time since i drove one of them ultra base model cars. i forgot they felt that the battery voltage was more important than oil pressure or temp.

cooling fan relay is located on the driver side strut tower right next to the starter relay. it is the relay closest to the fender. if u still cant find it, post a pix of the driver side strut tower

· Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh that's right, its been a long time since i drove one of them ultra base model cars. i forgot they felt that the battery voltage was more important than oil pressure or temp.

cooling fan relay is located on the driver side strut tower right next to the starter relay. it is the relay closest to the fender. if u still cant find it, post a pix of the driver side strut tower

I know I have the correct cooling fan relay. It's right beside the starter relay on the strut tower.

· Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I go to Autozone (yeah I know not a reputable source) but they said that the switch on the thermostat housing is the coolant temp sensor, not the radiator fan switch.

When they pulled out a coolant temp switch and a radiator fan switch, neither part matched what is in my car.

Once again, searching for a mystery part that probably doesn't exist anymore.

My switch (whatever the hell it may be) has two prongs that resemble threaded screws. The radiator fan switch that Autozone shows has two squared prongs that resemble prongs on an electrical plug.

· Helping when I can
1,327 Posts
So I go to Autozone (yeah I know not a reputable source) but they said that the switch on the thermostat housing is the coolant temp sensor, not the radiator fan switch.

When they pulled out a coolant temp switch and a radiator fan switch, neither part matched what is in my car.

Once again, searching for a mystery part that probably doesn't exist anymore.

My switch (whatever the hell it may be) has two prongs that resemble threaded screws. The radiator fan switch that Autozone shows has two squared prongs that resemble prongs on an electrical plug.
I wish you were closer to me... i would be tempted to drive over there to look at it.

In your other thread you stated that you jumpered the temp switch out of the equation and the fan didn't turn on still....
So why are you at autozone trying to buy a temp switch?

· Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In your other thread you stated that you jumpered the temp switch out of the equation and the fan didn't turn on still....
So why are you at autozone trying to buy a temp switch?
I was told by a A/C shop here in town to replace that. Jumpering it out like I did wasn't going to energize the relay. I'm obviously out of my league here with this crap, so I figured I'd trust someone that's certified on the system.

I wish I was closer too.

· Registered
3,600 Posts
there u go the best answer yet, take the thing to a professional that knows the complicated chrysler wiring. if it costs a couple bucks isn't it worth that in aggravation reduction? i needed to reside my house, i could do it but it would take a long time and i never did it, so i hired someone to do it. in the time it took them to do my siding, i rebuilt a trans in a 2000 caravan for a customer. i made more money doing that job than it cost to put up the siding. in otherwords it would have cost me more to do the job myself. make money at what ur good at and pay people for what they are good at.

· Premium Member
4,358 Posts
The auto parts item screws into the radiator in 84 only Daytona, don't know about Omni.The two prong switch on the water box is also 84 only temperature sensor.Both are needed to run the fan.Mine does have A/C.I changed to later T2 rad and IC so I had to run a switch to the rad plug and run the fan manually when needed.Tough to do without a temp gauge though.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.