Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 PT Cruiser Turbo GT Stage 1
My wife was driving it home and the timing belt went.
My father went to give her a hand as she thought it was out of gas and after trying for a while to boost it and that it wouldn't go. She called me at work and I said to tow it to a garage.
I have a Lubrico warranty bt so far there is no problems with them they said to the garage to replae the timing belt.
The garage however said that when the belt broke the piston got damaged and bent up the valves at we are looking at a 3500 bill to fix, oh and the head had to come out and re done. I asked how so but hey said due to her trying to boost it after it stopped caused all these problems.
From reading here I see that these 2.4 turbo engines are non interference engines, so I can't see how this is possible. The car has been at the shop now for 6 weeks and still no word, apparently they are waiting on Lubrico to give them the go ahead on the 3500. I'm sure an engine doesnt cost this to replace and if it is a non intereference engine then none of this damage to the piston and valves should be done anyways. Can anyone explain any of this to me, it would definitely help in dealing with the garage or the warranty company. From what I understand the garage is full of it but then again I don't trust warrant companies either. Thanks

·
Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 89 Spirit ES, 96 Jeep XJ
5,935 Posts
According to NAJ (Chrysler tech), the Dealer Connect system indicates the 2.4 is non-interference for piston-to-valve clearance. But apparently interference can occur valve-to-valve. I presume if the cams rotate independently of each other the valves can collide. It's possible that's what happened. Reference this thread -> http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f11/f39/196250-stratus-2-4l-timing-belt-snapped.html

$3500 may seem high, but there's a lot of shop time that goes into removing a head and replacing the valves.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
might be cheaper to drop a used motor in it- the insurance company is probably looking for one.

·
Administrator
24,825 Posts
DESCRIPTION
The 2.4 Liter (148 cu. in.) in-line four cylinder engine is a double over head camshaft with hydraulic lash adjusters and four valve per cylinder design. The engine is free-wheeling; meaning it has provisions for piston-to-valve clearance. However valve-to-valve interference can occur, if camshafts are rotated independently.

The cylinders are numbered from front of the engine to the rear. The firing order is 1–3–4–2.

The engine identification number is located on the rear of the cylinder block (Engine Identification).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now for 3500, I still owe 10k on this damn thing!!!. Friggen waranty cost me 5k. I've only had it a year, I bough tit just off dealer warranty so I got the extended. This car will be my sons in one year so the turbo engine is no big deal. The problem with an engine swap is apparently they can't find one to get a cost. I have found that the non turbo is about 1500. Is it a big job to just put a regular 2.4 non turbo back into it?

·
Mr. Moderator
8,905 Posts
I would leave the turbo engine!
You will see a decrease in gas mileage and the electronics part would surely be a pain.
I would suggest finding a head or finding a turbo motor!
You will be MUCH happier with it in the end

·
Registered
142 Posts
Have you been out to the car to observe the piston damage? You may want to call your warranty company personally (have your VIN and contract #) and see what they know about your car (you might be suprised).

My shop has put on four 2.4L timing belts this week alone and none have had any valve to valve damage. It does happen from time to time, and unless one were to remove the valve cover, rotate the cams into TDC position for each cylinder, put the crank at TDC for 1/4 and 2/3, and then perform a leakdown test while a second person physically holds the cams there is no easy way to tell if there is valve damage. BTW we don't do this at my shop and are willing to eat the labor of the belt if there is internal damage we get to fix. No need to risk damage by doing the test.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well, I jinxed a customer. One of my techs started one up this morning that he was working on yesterday. The valves on two cylinders are bent. :bang head

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Check on the srtforums for a head or replacement engine, you should be able to find a complete one under $2k

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Are the heads on the turbo motors different from the 2.4 Stratus etc? People doing hybrid motors on here use the non-turbo heads, so it seems they can at least take the beating.

·
Administrator
24,825 Posts
If it helps Dealer Connect is showing the same cylinder head for 2.4L PT Cruiser/Stratus
N/A and Turbo.
Newest part # is 5170051AA, fits 02-09
Stripped head is $442.00.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Are the heads on the turbo motors different from the 2.4 Stratus etc? People doing hybrid motors on here use the non-turbo heads, so it seems they can at least take the beating.
The only difference between a turbo and non-turbo cylinder head (same year) is the exhaust valves. The non-turbo exhaust valves seem to be able to take quite a beating.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
The only difference between a turbo and non-turbo cylinder head (same year) is the exhaust valves. The non-turbo exhaust valves seem to be able to take quite a beating.
If it helps Dealer Connect is showing the same cylinder head for 2.4L PT Cruiser/Stratus
N/A and Turbo.
Newest part # is 5170051AA, fits 02-09
Stripped head is $442.00.
Cool. Good to know. :thumb:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just got my car back from the warranty garage today. 1 day short of 2 months.
I now have new problems. I'm gonna go postal here soon.
OK, breathe
I found out last week there was no damage to thie valves or pistons but cylinder 1,2,4 had 30% loss and 3 was 100%. ow all this from a timing belt going I have no idea.
The warranty company ok's 2400 for a motor so aparently to install the timing belt originally was 7 hours and to install the used replacement engine was 22 hours. So I ended up paying 3300 for a motor on top of what the warranty company paid. I'm still freaking over that one. The y didnt use my wiring harness, they decided to repair the wirng harness that was on the old engine. Well go figure now my oil guage is over 100 all the time. I'm thinking a ground problem but I'll have a look tomorrow, here's my other problem. I no longer have the hissing sound when i jump in and out of turbo for the by pass. I have no idea here. Does anyone have any ideas on what this could be. Please help I'm ready to kill these losers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just in case some were wondering. Lubrico has been amazing through all of this. I cannot complain an ounce with the service I have received.

·
Administrator
24,825 Posts
If the oil pressure gauge is reading high all the time the signal line is grounded, pinched somewhere possibly.
Are you reading boost? Do you hear the turbo spool?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We can hear it spooling and it is working. I'm doing 60 and I jump on her and the tires just start squeeling. So it is working fine. It's just that im not getting the blow off when I let up

·
Administrator
24,825 Posts
Not familar with the 2.4L turbo and I just looked at the vacuum schematic and do not see a blow off valve, the system uses 3 solenoids, so the next question would be are any fault codes set?
They may have the vacuum lines misrouted.

·
Administrator
24,825 Posts
I do not see an oil pressure gauge listed, only an oil pressure indicator(light).
What are the last 8 digits of your vin?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts