Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wiped out my 1992 Dodge Spirit R/T engine, (split the oil pan and locked up the engine) all bearing melted including the two counter shafts.
Now I am trying to figure out my best options. (the head seems ok and even the turbo)
Questions: Can I bolt the Lotus head on the 2.5 liter block? And what are the conseqences? What 2.2 liter engines will work (dual balance shafts). Any relatively cheap ideas on increasing horsepower (modifying the turbo, etc) Is the mechanical waste gate the only controller of of peak boost? I would like to be able to safely maintain 18 to 20 PSI.
I live in the Houston area, any ideas on a reasonable short block source?

·
Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 89 Spirit ES, 96 Jeep XJ
5,937 Posts
If you're sure your pistons are okay, then you need a crank. You can use a 2.5 block and rods, but the crank has to come from a 2.2 common block. You might be able to take yours to a machine shop and have it turned, but it sounds like you tore it up pretty good. 2.2 common block cranks came in '89 TII's, anything TIII, and anything VNT. Probably not going to find one cheap anywhere.

I know folks have built 2.5 TIII's before so you could go that route. Right off I know the pistons are different and the ECU would need a different calibration. Hopefully one of the TIII gurus will chime in on what else is different.

The boost is wastegate controlled, but it's computer limited. The ECU uses a solenoid to stop boost from building past the set limit. You can get a cal and a 3-bar MAP setup to keep the ECU controller system (a good idea) or you can make an adjustable wastegate arm and set it manually (not a bad idea, but if something goes wrong the computer won't be able to dump the boost)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

The turbo information was helpful
On using the 2.5 block with the 2.2 crank; wouldn't that effect either the stroke (and displacement) or the compression rato?

·
Registered
5,937 Posts
No. That's why it's a common block. The rods and block are identical. The difference is in the piston height and the crank. Hence why you need to use your pistons and a 2.2 crank. Your pistons are further different from an 8v piston because they have 2 sets of valve reliefs instead of just one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again, that does clear that up. (I did not know if the 2.5 used diffent pisons or a different crank)

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
No. That's why it's a common block. The rods and block are identical. The difference is in the piston height and the crank. Hence why you need to use your pistons and a 2.2 crank. Your pistons are further different from an 8v piston because they have 2 sets of valve reliefs instead of just one.
The block has to come from a TIII.. The common block can be used if you put a freeze plug in place of the distributor socket. The TIII was distributor less and didn't have a while in the block for the distributor.

·
Registered
5,937 Posts
The block has to come from a TIII.. The common block can be used if you put a freeze plug in place of the distributor socket. The TIII was distributor less and didn't have a while in the block for the distributor.
Well yeah, the dizzy hole would need to be plugged. A machine shop could probably weld a plug in for him. That would still be a ton easier than trying to find a good TIII block. Probably cheaper too.

For that matter Wilson, you said your crank and rods are screwed up. Is your block ok? If so, just get a new oil pan, crank and rods.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts