Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the Bluetooth USB 'dongles' that will network computers within 150 feet. I had it on my old computer but it was to slow to be much good. But now with the new computer it works geat!

Right now i am on my lap top with no power cord or network cord as i roam around the house! This is so cool!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Mark1 said:

Right now i am on my lap top with no power cord or network cord as i roam around the house! This is so cool!!!!!! :D
Mark, your a man of many talents. You can walk and type at the same time. Can you also walk and chew gum at the same time to???
:D :D

I've had wireless for over a year, it's great sitting in my backyard looking out over the river and BS with the folks here at the PTE.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Not wireless but I used a hub and router to set up network throughout the house. In my room alone, I have 3 computers on the Internet. ;)

RN

·
Registered
8,746 Posts
renichms said:
Not wireless but I used a hub and router to set up network throughout the house. In my room alone, I have 3 computers on the Internet. ;)

RN
Only 3??? I'm up to 9 computers on my network right now. 3 more if I want to pull out my other laptops. :D

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
renichms said:

RN
We're set up the same way and have 4 computers on the network. I love being able to have all on line at once!

;)

·
Registered
11,518 Posts
<-- going wireless soon

MY Parents have my OLD Computer and the cable modem is on my new desk with my new computer and my parents wants internet too so were going "Wireless Soon"

:D

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
PTCruzr said:

Only 3??? I'm up to 9 computers on my network right now. 3 more if I want to pull out my other laptops.
That's just in MY room. ;) I have two sitting in the closet. My dad has a laptop and Cube. My brother has an old PowerMac and a new iMac. Plus the computer that will be going into the car. I'm gonna get its network card working so I can move my network to the CAR. Haha! I got most mobility. ;) :D :}

RN

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
You are using BLUETOOTH dongles at 150 feet??? Perhaps 802.11b you mean?

If you have a Bluetooth recevier that works at 150 feet, PLEASE let me know!! Heck, that is near impossible.....

802.11b is a diff story, i've been living with the wireless connection for ages and woudl diew without it now! So nice to walk aorund the house with the Palm, reading emails....

Brad

·
Registered
12,917 Posts
The Bluetooth devices if I remember correctly transmit at 1mb.. I have a similar set of Intel ones.. The better ones are the new devices which meet 802.11b standard and transmit at 11mb unfortunately they are more expensive.. The Intel ones were $15 each at Radio Shack,, I have them working on Windows 2000, Xp Pro, and Red Hat 7.3 and they work ok..

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Have my G3 and G4 desktops on airport along with my G3 and G4 laptops...Sun stations (Solaris) and Linux boxes remain on ethernet for security reasons...remember, people can hack into your net when you're wireless
BTW, did someone say Windows? I have two wintel boxes, one is a doorstop, the other a boat anchor. Both perform better in this configuration

·
Registered
17,456 Posts
802.11b (2.4 Ghz) here too- 11 MB/s at peak, scales to 5, 2, 1 as distance increases...

radio UPSTAIRS, laptop (2) wirelessly connected via a router downstairs, with PRINTER!

I can roam 4 houses away, BUT, when the old neighbour got her Panasonic GIG-Hz phone, the 80.11b killeed it.

802.11a is 5 Ghz.

:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts