Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Legendary Driver
10,968 Posts
been planning on doing this at some point for years. Be interesting to see how someone else did it. I've got my idea's and being able to custom machine aluminum is a plus. +1 on needing a Tstat.

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
Where did you study thermodynamics?

Post your results after 200k miles, im curious to see if it works as well as the stock system.

·
Legendary Driver
10,968 Posts
heads like to be cold, rings like to be warm. So you shove the cold coolant down through the top and out the bottom.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^yup!
my friend running 498hp did this years ago and has never had trouble not running a thermostat. it DOES heat up to running temps, its just controlled by the fan now instead of a thermostat. also, it seems to heat up in the same amount of time as it did with a thermostat on the old system.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
the pics did not show for me on that site. "Cool: idea. ;)

·
Helping when I can
1,326 Posts
Reverse cooling? :confused:
Turbododge people have been doing that for years! :thumb:

Its called using the wrong water pump:D

Just Kidding around:p

I also would like to see pics
:needpics:

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
How about using a 90 degree thermostat housing on the transmission side of the head for a #4 cooling mod, block off the normal thermostat housing, and using a 90 degree thermostat housing on the block with a temperature sensor bung?

Here's one for a Ford from Jeg's:

Mr. Gasket 2664 - Mr. Gasket Chrome Thermostat Housings - JEGS

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you have an electric fan, and an intercooler in front of your radiator, you do not need a thermostat. If the fan isn't on, you're only losing a small amount of heat though actual radiation. We've been running reverse flow for a few years, and the car doesn't take any longer to heat up.

All of the pressure in a cooling system is caused by heat expansion. The design of every TD water pump(and most likely any W/P) make it impossible to create positive pressure. All the W/P is for , is to push the coolant through everything.

The #4 coolant mod is obsolete if you reverse flow.

You don't need to be able to machine aluminum, just be able to weld it. Our first block bung was a scrapyard elbow welded to a piece of aluminum plate, surfaced with a file and a belt sander.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts