Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I recently bought a 1985 Lebaron Mark Cross. It was running decently the few times I drove it but did stall out a couple times and started right back up afterwards. The other day when I was driving home, I lost all throttle response and when I came to a stop the car stalled and wouldn't start back up again. I've done some digging through the forums and I believe it's a faulty ASD. Anyone know if it can be repaired or just replaced? Also, I'm not entirely sure which relay is the ASD, there's three similar looking relays.

·
Registered
158 Posts
On a 1985, the asd relay is inside the power module. The power module is in the left front drivers side fender, next to the battery. Do you have any computer fault codes?

·
Administrator
25,053 Posts
Welcome To TD!!!

Chances are you have a HEP issue, not an ASD Relay issue.
If the engine cranks but will not start, run these diagnostics and post back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the late response, work has been crazy busy (Roadside assistance) I was testing for spark when I noticed a crack around the negative post on the coil. I replaced it along with new plugs and wires. I was checking for fault codes and it showed 23 and possibly 25. I'm not sure why but the power loss light stopped coming on while I was checking a few things. I was looking at the air charge sensor because of the 23 fault and the plug near the firewall has a lot of a dark orange goo all over it. I cleaned it as much as I could but it still won't start. As for he hall effect, can I just buy the sensor itself or do I need a whole distributor? I've seen a few people say they keep spares but I can't find any online.

·
Administrator
25,053 Posts
The code 23 will not cause a no start condition, the code 25 is the AIS (Automatic Idle Speed) circuit, if that were the issue the car should start when "slightly" opening the throttle.

Did you run the "No Start" diagnostics I posted?
This will tell you exactly what the issue is.

The HEP is a high failure item, even buying a new one does not guarantee a long lasting quality product.
I carry a "known good" HEP in my car so if/when the HEP that is being used fails I have a good replacement.
Once I get a new one I use that one in the car (have to put it in to be sure it works) and put the known good HEP away for future use.

If you replace the HEP do not place any sharp bends in the wiring as the factory had it or damage to the wiring will occur.

Is this a TBI or Turbo car?
The HEPS are different, the TBI has one lead and the Turbo has two leads.
84/85 HEPS are the same, 86 and up are not compatible with 84/85.

TBI (Mopar #5227271)

TURBO (Mopar #5213524)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a turbo, I found a HEP with two leads on rock auto that seem like it will work. Should be here tomorrow. If it does work I'll definitely be getting a spare. After running the diagnostics it seems to be the HEP. That crack in the coil kinda sidetracked me. I'll post back when the HEP comes in

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the HEP, installed it and it started for about 3 seconds then stalled. I can't check any fault codes as the power loss light does not illuminate. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
25,053 Posts
Run the no start diagnostics and see where it leads.

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,227 Posts
Oh man, all this time has passed. Shark may have donated the car for a tax break by now.:( Has the fuel pump ever been changed? I have had original fuel pumps fail in weird ways sort of intermittently. Made me think HEP, changed, didn't run, maybe ASD, changed, ran for a while, shut off. The most recent one, I've known damn well the fuel pump has needed to be changed for a long time. When the prime pulse sounds more like a crunch than a whirr, change the pump. lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts