Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way home from work....travelling approx 70-80 MPH for 30+ miles, I got off my exit and went to Walmart. As soon as I pulled into the parking lot closest the doors, my van just sputtered and died.

I tried starting it back up with no luck. The engine sounded funny, like a tinny strained sound while cranking and cranked a lot slower than usual....almost like the battery was drained.
I popped the hood and there were no vac lines popped off, the dipstick was not blown out or anything either. After it sat a few minutes, I tried starting it again and it cranked normally, then alternated between normal cranking and the slower strained cranking.....it still did not start.

I had to get a friend to push me home.

Has anyone experienced this before? Should I plan on a set of new pistons?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Sounds like what happended to me Tuesday. Coil blew up...small hairline crack at top.

Replace the coil and see what happens. Also, did you check your timing belt to see if it snapped?

EDIT: ....codes...??

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave said:
Sounds like what happended to me Tuesday. Coil blew up...small hairline crack at top.

Replace the coil and see what happens. Also, did you check your timing belt to see if it snapped?

EDIT: ....codes...??

Just went out to check it out a little closer...... Tried cranking it again and same deal.....this time I checked the timing and the cam sprocket hole was straight up... I cranked the engine again for fun and to my surprise, the cam sprocket was still straight up!

I turned the crank with a breaker bar and lo and behold, the cam sprocket did not move....I guess I sheared about 10-15 teeth right off the belt.

I got everything off the engine that needs to be off.....alt bracket, ps belt, alt belt, lower timing cover, tensioner and the belt won't/can't come off....please tell me I don't have to remove the crank pully! :bash:

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just thought.....this is probably my reason for lackluster power the last few days...also...could be why my lower IC hose collapsed...maybe timing being off caused that too.

·
Registered
345 Posts
You don't need to pull the timing gear off the crank, but you should pull the accessory pulleys from the crankshaft. It'll make reinstallation a million times easier as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts