Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 91 shadow with an 87 shelby z t 2 engine. i am wondering what mods it would take to get in around a 12 second car.

·
Banned
533 Posts
t1 or t2 garrett t03 at 20psi, with a stage 5 cal, 3bar mapsensor, +40 injectors, awesome intercooler that's what i'm shooting for with my convertible i'm hoping for 13's with full interior aside from backseats + roll bar

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
t1 or t2 garrett t03 at 20psi, with a stage 5 cal, 3bar mapsensor, +40 injectors, awesome intercooler that's what i'm shooting for with my convertible i'm hoping for 13's with full interior aside from backseats + roll bar
I would add to that a 2.5-3 in exhaust and 25psi and sticky tires.
a nice lw aluminum fw couldn't hurt. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i would also be running a ported exhaust and intake, slicks, and a 3" swingvalve and mandrel bent exhaust. maybe nitrous

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
i would also be running a ported exhaust and intake, slicks, and a 3" swingvalve and mandrel bent exhaust. maybe nitrous
I don't think you will need nos for a 12 sec run. But hey shoot for 11s :thumb:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Biger turbo, port work, more fuel, don't get to hung up on the 3" swing valve they help a lot but I have seen plenty of daytonas shadows and other heavy cars in the 12s with a 2.5" sing valve. Port the head, go with big injectors, upgrade the ic, etc. One point is I have never seen to many 12 second cars with stock lower ends last to long. So to do it right start with a bullet proof lower end and then go from there.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have a 87 CSX with a 2.2 common block, stock crank rods and pistons, The head is mildly ported and the intake is a stock un ported 2 piece and the exh mani is a ported fwd unit. The turbo is a TU super 70 with a .63 housing. I run +40's a 3bar, ported 2.5 swing valve and 3" exhaust. XS power FM a stage 5 Cal from FWD, 22psi and race fuel.

This setup is worth so much more is terms of tuning too. I have manged a [email protected] with a 1.80 60ft on 23x7x15 M&H's, Car is pretty heavy being full interior w/me weing in at 2980. The tranny is a 555 with a phantom grip extreme. i ould gestimate once I get my new head on next year along with custom intake and header and my recently purchased GT35 BB turbo and JE 40 over JE's I should see 11's in my street car/ show car.

Good Luck getting to the 12's its fun.

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
remember the car needs to be built for ET and engine built for MPH at the track. Stiff suspension with better springs and Konis help a ton. Then the engine and front suspension can't be moving around, make sure they are all rebuilt with poly.

The first 3 things you buy are gears tires and headers (exhaust) when building a race car. It has been this way for over 50 years. The terms have changed but what you need hasn't.

15 x 8 x 22 slicks on 15 x 7 wheels
a getrag trans of anykind will give you the lower gears you need, otherwise look for the 3.85 tag
ported manifold or TU econo header, .63 turbine and full 3" exhaust with 3" swing valve and straight through muffler.

Now after you get here the next 3 things have to do with power, they have been known for 50 years as the 3 C's. Cam, carberation and compression.

Cam, well with a turbo this is cam and head porting, this means more engine flow.
carb, this means more air and fuel, it means 3 bar map, custom cal and bigger injectors.
compression, this used to mean static compression, we turbo people increase our effective compression. You need to compress more air and fuel on every power stroke, adding some real boost with a 3 bar map will up the effective compression.

Most people do the 3 C's and nothing to the car, they don't hook and they don't ET. Most people think more power is everything, yet you see 15 second Daytonas with 24 PSI of boost and a guy here running 12s with a log T1 engine. Big tall 18" wheels and low profile tires murder 1/4 mile performance along with 500 lb sterios so you need to be commited. No cal is tuned perfect and then sent to you in the mail. Do many get lucky? Yes, many do get lucky with a good tuned cal but they are still off a little. So buy a adjustible regulator and a wideband 02 sensor and get the AF right. If fuel pressure doesn't work send it back and then try again. Many run over 20 PSI and the AF is way rich or lean and they don't make near the power 20 PSI of boost should make. Nitrous is for noobs, anyone with the bottle can make any car fast. I've seen my share of 13 second Rabbits and Yugos running the bottle. Unless you have a 10 second car your building to run nitrous as a dedicated drag car that then runs high 7's. But don't build a turd with a bottle......

Rob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts