Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lol, I loved how my R/T looked with 225/50/16 tires on the 16" x 6.5" rims. All the tires went to hell so I stuck my 17" rims on it and am using 15" steelies in the front on my MPI Daytona with 14" rims on the back. It looks pretty bad and I have almost no braking power, my wheels start squiling quick. My R/T has AMAZING braking power with my sticky 215 wide tires. I know that the R/T has ABS and my MPI doesn't, but I'm not locking my wheels :(

I was thinking about getting snowflake rims since they look pretty good and are plentiful at the yard and investing in some brand new tires. The 225 wide tires on the ninja rims "ballooned" past the rims and I think that looked badass. Would I be able to run 225 tires on snowflake rims or are the rims just too narrow for that? Someone on here mentioned that a lot of GM cars from the era are also 5x100 bolt pattern.

I was wondering if I could get some input to all my questions and if anyone has any suggestions for rims. If someone can tell me of a make/model/year of anycar with 5x100 bolt pattern that is particularly wide. 17" rims are nice, but I would prefer 16" rims actually for the ride quality. I'd also be ok with 15" rims as long as they would be wide. Also, I don't want the wheels tucked into the car all the way, I would love to get them as closely lined up with the fender/quarter panel as possible.

Obviously I can't run too wide of tires since I wouldn't be able to turn the wheels. HOWEVER! I am willing to make modifications to make them work. I really love late 80s and early 90s camaro rims. They're 16" x 7"! But not sure about the offset. I would buy the lug adapters, but then I'm afraid that with the adapters and the offset, half the wheel would stick out of the car! Haha

I appreciate all the constructive input I get, so thanks guys in advance! :thumb:

·
Banned
1,695 Posts
adapters are bad news, the tend to allow the lug nuts to come loose.

GM rims don't clear the front calipers on a chrysler (at least, I've always had that happen). I have 2 sets of 16" lace type wheels forsale. one set on a 1989 GTC and the other on a 1994 GTC convert. the 94s are gold, 89 are silver.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I feel like an idiot. I have my old ninja rims laying around in the garage. They look awesome and are 6.5" wide. I was looking to pay $100 for junkyard rims plus tires when I could just pay to put new tires on the ninjas. Since I don't want to fork out $100 per tire, I'm going to try and scavange 4 good used tires to put on the rims.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Do not use spacers as they can cause the wheel bearings to fail and also have a negative impact on handling. You can get a 17"x7" wheel with some 225/45 tires and they won't rub. Just stick with an offset between 38mm and 42mm. However, 40mm is stock and I have 17"x7" wheels with a 40mm offset and they are perfectly flush. So get as close to 40mm as you can which shouldn't be hard.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the cheapest rims that discounttire has in the size I want are $83 each. I just don't have the luxury to spend that much on tires alone right now. I do have two very good 205/55/16 tires in my garage, if I don't find a complete set of 225/50/16s, I'll stick those two on and try getting at least 2 of the 225s.

Goodyear sells good used tires for about $25 each and swaporama for about $20 each, so I'm going to see what I can get. I'm not going to have 4 different tires though, I would like to have the symmetry of either 4 identical tires (not just in size but thread pattern) or 2 sets of 2.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you! I've been trying to find that website this entire time. I could've swore I read that ninjas were 6.5". Oh well.

And as for the most mexican part, I want my wheels UNDER my car. I want them to be as flush with the top of the wheelwell as possible. I would rather have it 4 inches inside the fender than stick out an inch.

And I have 17" by 7" rims on my R/T Daytona right now, and although they look very nice, they are not flush. They're maybe 2" or more away from the top of the wheelwell. However, the tires on those are 215s. You know what, I'm not even sure now about the width of those rims. How can I tell if they're 7" wide or shorter? I thought most, if not all, aftermarket 17" rims are 7" wide at the least.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
The easiest way to find out is measure the wheels yourself. Then again, you have 215s on them? If so and the sidewall of the tires are flat then they certainly aren't seven inches wide, they would be six inches.

Also, the fact that they stick out has little to do with the size. They are the incorrect offset.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts