Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok easiest way to see if this would be a beneficial mod or a dampener. Would be strait forward and state my ic idea. Witch is to drop intake temp as much as possible.

So my idea is a dual ic. fmic. With a small after market fan inbetween both fmic and weld them so their is no gap between 6 the to ic's along the edges.
air flow would go compressor inside ic to out side (furthest to bumper) then back to the intake of manifold ..

Or a simple fmic then tmic to manifold to test and c if two is better than one.

Eny comments or enyone try this?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Two stockers can flow enough for 400hp - but there are better IC's out there. It depends on what you have on hand already, or can get. If you can have someone weld it, two stock cores can make something like this:

Or more cores:

Mounting the IC in front of the radiator is a proven upgrade, as it gets more cool air through the intercooler. You'll need a T2 radiator to give you a space to run the pipes past the radiator, to the front of the car.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So u have done my idea???
I wana fmic and figured if I sandwiched a fan between the 2 ic and sealed up the sides so it would pull constant vacume threw 1the ic and push the cool air threw the next.
Basicly intercooling already intercooled air and intinsafying the intercooling effect with the fan.
Would a build like this increase the effect? Say I used two of the best out their would it be werth wile temp and power wise?
And I did and don't have 1the till after my build. ;)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah so ur with me sounds like a crazy mod. I mean ud be pulling a cold air vacume thro the fmic at will. Im shure gains will be Sean at lowerend rpm no mater what if ur runing the fan of idle till wot and on...
I just kinda trying to estimate gains/vers/ lag if I were to run a set up witch could cost alot.. lol..
What's the idea/estimated gain u have in mind?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
So you're thinking about 2 intercoolers stacked with a fan sandwiched in between.....?

I gotta think it's the same logic as going from a 2 row core radiator to a 3 row core radiator, yes, the 3rd row will drop the temps more, but by how much????? because the air entering the 3rd row has already soaked up the heat from the first 2 rows.

There are some basic principles to apply here, surface area and dwell time. Surface area is easy, the bigger the core the more surface area (also include number of rows/tubes and fin count), dwell time is hardly ever discussed. Same idea as taking the thermostat out of the engine and having the car run hotter, the coolant needs time in the radiator to dissipate heat. If you get an intercooler that will hold the air charge longer it should cool more by the time it gets to the outlet. I like the long intercooler with smaller end tanks, trying to get as large of a core as possible. I'd go with one that's more along the lines this....

UNIVERSAL FRONT MOUNT TURBO INTERCOOLER FMIC 28x7x2.5" | eBay

As for the fan, I can't imagine any reason why a fan would not be a good idea so long as you can fit it.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
What's the idea/estimated gain u have in mind?
I won't risk giving you a number, but if you're gonna stay with the log setup and other original stuff I'd stay with a stock (or relatively small) intercooler. Unless you're going to add bigger injectors, bigger turbo, crank the boost pressure up ect having a "big"ger intercooler will not result in bigger gains, will probably translate to more turbo lag.

·
Registered
101 Posts
sandwiching the fan and then welding it closed wouldn't be good: what if the fan dies? It'd be kind of hard to change.

Also, the 'rear' intercool will be seeing hotter cooling air... this is why intercoolers are rarely thick, but instead are tall/wide.

Neither of those ICs are mine. One is from the dodge garage, one was for sale some time back.

If you already have two stock IC's, just plumb them together - fans aren't necessary, there's no boost to cool until the car gets going, and then the fan will only reduce the amount of air flowing through the cooling fins (blockage).

'Dwell time' has many factors. It mostly has to do with boundary layers, in which case long runners are bad - unless the flow is turbulated, then the boundaries can be broken into shorter segments.

·
Administrator
16,494 Posts
well i know the stock intercooler i have on my charger with a stock garett will build boost at 2000 to 2200 and be at full boost by 2500 then just start spinning the tires, but the bigger intercooler does make it have a little more lag but once the turbo is spinning its gonna build boost, but your cars a auto sooo it might be later in the rpm range like 2500 to 2700 or like my mini van its buildinng boost at 25mph lol and it will not build good boost off the line, but i will make sure to take pictures when i build mine, i have to get a extra intercooler to make this happen i only have one :(

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
.Ok cool yeah I didn't wana c to much lag but ima make up for the lag atleast 1I ic would make.

I would make the bottem close with plastic shear and eve the fan bolted 2 the plastic so would come out like a five ten min job still.. .. good point lol ok don't weld but seal off lol.

And what if u piggy back two ic's then fan.? Better because no blow thro heat if first ic but less vac thro ic's .

And I had boost deasintly fast after wot at a stop I stayd dead even with a 192hp 90 240sx.
I see 1 2 3psi verry soon after throttle punch/0. It then speeds up and peeks very fast around 17 20gs mph.
With the garret stock it had on. It started laging on to match ur description ..
I made shaft play lol is ur shaft recently inspected? Or exhaust flow might be difrent? Idk my tires cherp wen boost speeds up after a second of throttle.

·
Administrator
16,494 Posts
ohh i plan on cutting the tops off and welding them into one big side by side. tig welding isnt hard i got the welder and all. but you can do what a nother member did he made a Y pipe for both boost tubes and ran them that way and his set up was pretty fast.

my charger is in my sig theres a link to it. theres also a vid in the link

and the turbo lag in my mini is just bad set up its running a 87 2.2 with the 89 2.5 computer. but my van is heavy and at 10 psi so theres not really a chance for it to spin but i do have a wide tire on it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
...the bigger intercooler does make it have a little more lag but once the turbo is spinning its gonna build boost...
The stock turbo flows approx 27lbm/min of air.

Air density at 2500 feet is approx .068 lbm/cubit foot, which is about 14.7 cubic feet per pound mass.

that means the turbo is pushing near 400 cubic feet of air per minute - or about 6.6 cubic feet per second!

1 cubic foot is approximately 7.5 gallons - this means that the turbo is pushing somwhere near fifty gallons per second.

A 3" diameter, 36" long intercooler pipe has about .147 cubit feet of volume. An intercooler of dimensions 12x18x3 would have a volume of 2.25 cubit feet (assuming half of it's size is actual volume!, remember we have cooling fins). Meaning a total charge path volume of approx 2.55 cubic feet - that would take approx .4 seconds to fill. Unless you're building RPM substantially faster than 100rpm/.1 seconds, I'm not sure we could ever see 'lag' from 'filling' the intercooler.

What you WILL see is less boost at lower RPM, because the larger intercooler is allowing the air THROUGH rather than stacking it on the turbo side due to resistance.
/lesson

·
Administrator
16,494 Posts
The stock turbo flows approx 27lbm/min of air.

Air density at 2500 feet is approx .068 lbm/cubit foot, which is about 14.7 cubic feet per pound mass.

that means the turbo is pushing near 400 cubic feet of air per minute - or about 6.6 cubic feet per second!

1 cubic foot is approximately 7.5 gallons - this means that the turbo is pushing somwhere near fifty gallons per second.

A 3" diameter, 36" long intercooler pipe has about .147 cubit feet of volume. An intercooler of dimensions 12x18x3 would have a volume of 2.25 cubit feet (assuming half of it's size is actual volume!, remember we have cooling fins). Meaning a total charge path volume of approx 2.55 cubic feet - that would take approx .4 seconds to fill. Unless you're building RPM substantially faster than 100rpm/.1 seconds, I'm not sure we could ever see 'lag' from 'filling' the intercooler.

What you WILL see is less boost at lower RPM, because the larger intercooler is allowing the air THROUGH rather than stacking it on the turbo side due to resistance.
/lesson

well i have ran a few differnt size intercoolers the bigger intercoolers make the boost lag little long becuse it has to fill allllll that area full of pressure. my old mini van was a slug off the line becuse it had a massive front mount intercooler. i dont want to argue but i have felt the effects on differnt intercoolers on the same van with differnt intercoolers. :shrug:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And I understand the mass of ic equals a sirtin resistance /and lag.
I would use 2mesh small 1ns that's y I didn't wana make 1shure big 1..
Or a big 1 on a big 1.
But would intercooling intercooled air be werth wile?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had thought of a y pipe thought but I would have so much piping cus I am runing dual ram/cold air intake witch ima keep wen I intercool the car.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
DUDE - PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE loose the 'leet speak, change whatever auto correct settings you have to on your device and if all else fails go back and actually read your post and edit the errors after it's been posted.

The difficulty in answering your questions is only compound by the difficulty in comprehending them.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts