Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some help id ing what i have. I bought this buggy last summer. Got it running pretty good and put a few miles on it before winter. In the garage now and cleaning things up and fixing some things I dont like. Based on what I found on this forum so far, the block (casting # 4343834-11) seams to be an 1986, and the head (casting # 4105782) an 1988. Has a Holly 4bbl 8007 390 cfm carb. Has a non roller cam. There is a fuel pump block off plate on the block, so i guess it was carbed. Some of it looks a little wonky, but it does run good and strong. Just trying to figure out what I have in case of repairs and up grades. Here a some pix. Thanks in advance for some help.

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,003 Posts
Early 2.2 Turbo I motors have the block off plate for the fuel pump, not till the 89-up common block turbo motors did they cast the fuel pump provision out. Considering the block casting is an 86, I suggest it is an 86 2.2 Turbo I, which has been retrofitted with a carb (impressive, boost reference carb???) If you were to order parts for it, you could order for an 86 Daytona Turbo or 86 Dodge Shelby Charger Turbo

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Interesting setup for sure!!

The carb wouldn't be boost referenced as its mounted as a draw through.

The power valve normally works backwards in a draw through as fuel requirement is higher under vacuum, opposite from N/A.

Thanks
Randy

PS: More pics please!

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,139 Posts
It does have to be jetted properly for it. An unmodified 390 might not be giving that motor enough fuel.

What I am interested is: WHAT TRANSAXLE IS THAT THAT ALLOWS A LONGITUDINAL MOUNTING OF A 2.2!?? (excitedly jumps up and down)
Is it a VW 4 speed with an adapter plate? That would make the crank pulley face out the rear of the buggy unless the adapter allows the transaxle to be mounted upside down.

·
Super Moderator
11,699 Posts
finally I can see !!
attachments

scroll on back up to the first post and take a close lookie see at the pic on the right

the orange hose coming from the block to the turbo ... is hiding the actual casting date of your motor

take a peek right below it on your motor when you have the chance

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,139 Posts
I'm always thinking of a build. Some are normal. Some are crazy and maybe unachievable. I don't think anyone has ever done a longitudinal mid engine build with the Trans 4 engine before. Even the M4S supercar was transverse. I'm thinking of the possibilities because super tough transmissions are available for VW applications.

Some modifications to the adapter plate and the transaxle could be flipped over to drive the other way. So it could be set up mid-engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts