Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum joined because of this issue. Need advice on my idle controller. Recently purchased a 1989 Daytona ES 2.5 auto non turbo for a gas saver. It was having issues with holding idle so I cleaned the throttle body, replaced the gaskets, put in new injector and idle air controller but it ended up running around 3k rpm 30 seconds after starting. It would slowly climb and hold around 2700-3000 rpm without backing off, I've narrowed it down to the idle controller not operating pulling too much air holding wide open even though it's new. I used an aftermarket generic from advance auto but it seemed to be junk. I tested the harness to see if it wasn't getting signal from bad wires but my multimeter showed electrical activity with key on. Im getting a free replacement this weekend if it's the controller but if it fails again would it be an issue with the new ECU? Or do I need a specific controller for this car? Vacuum lines are all connected correct no leaks that I can find, The old controller would choke out the engine wouldn't start without holding the gas pedal and would lope and jump up and down between 15-20 range. The ECU is new bought offline programmed for my engine from the manufacturer. Thanks for any input on this issue.

·
Administrator
24,577 Posts
Welcome To TD!!!
You replaced the SMEC (Single Module Engine Controller) and rebuilt the TBI unit without actually diagnosing any issues, unfortunately that can led to more issues.

Before condemning the IAC Motor be sure there are no vacuum leaks and that TPS calibration is correct.
A vacuum leak will create the same issues you are describing.
These cars use a Speed Density Fuel Control System (MAP Sensor), the vacuum system is central, if there is a vacuum leak the MAP see's more "Air", in response the SMEC adds more fuel, more fuel + more air = higher idle speed.
Do you have access to a scanner to read IAC Steps?

Is the remanufactured engine controller from "Cardone"?
If so, it is total JUNK.
I was a Commercial Sales Manager at AZ for 6 years before I retired, AZ kicked Cardone to the curb due to quality issues, especially with engine controllers.

I would suggest you open a thread in the "Parts Wanted" section and get another known good Mopar SMEC.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts