Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 89 Shelbys and neither one runs. The 2.5TI w/ auto and T-tops has a cracked head or block, not quite sure haven't taken it apart yet. The 2.2T2 w/ 5spd has a hole in the block from what I'm told (bought it as a parts car). Also have a complete 87 2.2TI engine.

I plan on keeping the T-top car as it is fully loaded. I even took the leather interior and overhead console from the 2.2. The T2, intercooler, and 5spd will also be transplanted into the T-top car.

Here is where I'm looking for ideas. Do I build a 2.5T2 (if the block is good)or use the 2.5 block and make a 2.2T2. If the block is bad do I rebuild the weaker 87 into a T2 or track down an 89 common block?

I'm not planning on anything really wicked, I have the 04 Mach 1 for that. Probably just looking at a Stage 1 head with a Stage 2 cam and forged pistons running 14psi.

I appreciate your thoughts. Even though I've owned the 83 Shelby since 91 and the 89 2.5T1 since 03. I've always believed in leaving the car stock until I bought the Mach so building the 2.2 or 2.5 for a little extra is new to me.

All I'm after is something really fun that will **** off the ricers.

Thanks for your input
Brian

· Registered
768 Posts
For a Daytona, I think that you would be happier with a 2.5L TII. It has more torque and low end power, good for a heavier car. I wouldn't build up a non-CB, personally. There are enough N/A common blocks that you probably could find one for free. Plus, you wouldn't be able build a 2.5L :D.

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's kinda the reason I really don't want to do anything with the 87 2.2T1 except maybe sell it. Bought for a 100 bucks complete and running before I found out about the common block. Sad thing is I only paid $100 for the T-top car and got to drive it for a year before it died. The $800 for a new digital dash (worked fine when I bought the car) and navigator (buttons sticking) rather sucked.

· Registered
2,400 Posts
At 14 psi you could just toss the 87 t1 in there with the t2 garret turbo unless it turns out that the 2.5 block is ok then id use that one, ive run a 2.2 t1 with the lightweight rods at 18 psi with no problems.
make sure you use the injectors from the t2 or the 2.5 t1 and the t2 manifolds

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At 14 psi you could just toss the 87 t1 in there with the t2 garret turbo unless it turns out that the 2.5 block is ok then id use that one, ive run a 2.2 t1 with the lightweight rods at 18 psi with no problems.
make sure you use the injectors from the t2 or the 2.5 t1 and the t2 manifolds
It would be nice if the 89 2.2T2 block is ok as well but I have my doubts as it deffinitely launched something (guessing part of a rod) through the oil pan. It was doomed by the old swapping of a cracked head without an oil change. I thought everyone knew better. Good news for me is the head was only on the car for a month.

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bobble strut in the 5 speed. Build yourself a cb 2.5 t2 definitely. Ttop car for 100 bucks not a bad deal. Goodluck on your build.
I thought I did pretty good. They couldn't keep the battery charged and it kept overheating. The owner said I could have the car but her boyfriend insisted on $300. The girl said $100 and I said sold. I put the nut that holds the alternator in place back on, jumped it and drove it home. He was pissed because he spent three months trying to fix it and it only took me 10 minutes to find the problem and another 5 to fix it.

I've always loved these cars and really miss my 93 Iroc. I switched to Ford for the V8 and RWD. The Avenger SE just seemed like a dog.

· Banned
1,465 Posts
For a Daytona, I think that you would be happier with a 2.5L TII. It has more torque and low end power, good for a heavier car. I wouldn't build up a non-CB, personally. There are enough N/A common blocks that you probably could find one for free. Plus, you wouldn't be able build a 2.5L :D.
I second that, thats what im running now, and it pulls nicely, and definitly has more torque which makes driving round town a lot funner.

And as far as that guy taking 3 weeks and couldnt find that alt bolt missing roflol to him. I love doing that to people, they'd be like i dunno what it is, then you come along, oh lookie there roflol:D

· Registered
296 Posts
uhh i got a N/A complete motor in my garage im almost positive is a CB ... would have to pull the pan to be completely sure the guy that gave it to me couldnt remember the year (has been sitting in a garage for like 5 years before i got it last year) he said he thinks its an 89 or maybe a 91... but if you want its up for grabs pm me

· Registered
768 Posts
uhh i got a N/A complete motor in my garage im almost positive is a CB ... would have to pull the pan to be completely sure the guy that gave it to me couldnt remember the year (has been sitting in a garage for like 5 years before i got it last year) he said he thinks its an 89 or maybe a 91... but if you want its up for grabs pm me
Just look for the block off plate on the front of the motor. No Block off plate=CB.

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oooo id do that... but tis cold sooo ima stay inside where its warm haha... ill have to get around to that
Let me know once you look at it. I'm not in a real big hurry. It's too cold to start swapping parts. Both cars are outside and I already have enough coals in the fire. Need to finish some other projects. Should be ready to start in a month. I miss the T-tops and 30mpg. I have no complicates about the Mach getting 20mpg city but 30 sounds better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.