Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my 61st B'day the wifey bought me a 15 lap shootout in the Rusty Wallace Experience at Lucas Oil (Indy) raceway. The track is short at .68 miles and the cars can hit 140....Pit Bull has hit the stock 155 mph cut off several times, but never in a circle!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All went well yesterday. All the cars are prepped the same way, all have manuals. Mine was a 3 speed but only 2 and 3 are used...period. The motors are 500 hp crate 350 motors (GM) and the clutches are $700 race pieces....which felt as tame as the one in my 95 Neon! We went a few laps at around 40 behind a pace truck, one car apart and after a couple of laps maintained like that then they had us leave aboiut a 10 car length gap from each other. After a lap like that the truck pulled off and we went at it! No follow the leader BS that some of the NASCAR experiences have....go as fast as you care too. Everyone had the same radio signal. They would tell the slower car by car number to pull to the inside at the next straight and lift...once you were cleared they'd tell you to go on with it. The same thing with passing a slower car...they tell you to pass the slower guy after he's pulled down on the next straight and let you know when you cleared. VERY simple. They used cheap ass Autogauge tachs that were not even needed since all cars had a rev limit of only 5500 rpm! The only other guages were a oil pressure and water temp from SW...might not have worked since mine only ran 140 temps at the most. My car was the only one without a mirror, but not needed since they told us when to let the faster guy pass. They had pylons set up on where to lift and slightly brake and others on where to start to accelerate. They told us NOT to floor the cars once we clear the acceleration point since with 500 hp they could spin out. The other problem I was running into that two of the others never experienced and one other had happen once was that the rev limiter was being hit just after I cam out of the turn....WAY before the halfway part of the back stretch and also WAY before the middle of the front stretch start/finish line. They could hear it and on the radio told me that they knew of this and the problem was that I was coming out of the corner way faster than the other guys and hitting the rev limit way early on the track.....the other guys were a lot slower coming out of the turns and the one that did hit his finally had enough speed on the straight that he hit it right before the pylon to slow for the turn! They were shocked that an old dude was having this problem and told me that only about 5% would have this much of a problem....most were racers of other oval series and used to maintaining speed through the turns. I never eased into the gas, I used the pedal as an on/off switch. I told them that I drag race right there and also have road raced back in the early 70s with a little Fiat 850 Abarth 600 body (102 ci with 110 hp and ZERO torque) at Road Atlanta. BTW, I only lifted for the turns, never braked and let the car slow itself...scarred the crap out of me every turn that I'd loose it, but it tracked right through the turns like they were on rails. Too bad I'm so old....a LOT more fun than drag racing. We got there and were trained, ran, and were done in 1 hour. Even when I won the IHRA Ohio/Indiana championsip in 1990 in one class and runnered-up in another...14 total rounds....I only spent a total of under 4 minutes on the track...15.8 seconds per round. ABSOLUTE FUN....thanks to the wifey!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts