Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1994 Ram Van and the FWD cars use the same dash bulb #194 or 9421330 Mopar

Any suggestions on the LED replacement bulbs?

The OEM bulbs are not very bright and of course they burn out

My concern is that they will be too bright

Any suggestions??

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just swapped over all my 194 dash bulbs in my GLHS to LEDs. Not too bright, but I also went with an ice blue LED. To me my old 194 bulbs just were way too dim.

·
Registered
122 Posts
What brand and part number did you buy ? Also when you bought them in ice blue did you not use the blue plastic caps ?

·
Registered
127 Posts
What brand and part number did you buy ? Also when you bought them in ice blue did you not use the blue plastic caps ?
I only replaced all the bulbs in the instrument cluster and I never removed any covers. I wanted the instruments to maintain that blueish green hue.

I think I got them off Amazon, but its not showing in my past orders. I think they were like $15 for 10 bulbs and sockets. I will search more to see if I can find what I ordered.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my OEM 194 bulbs are way too dim....so hopefully the LEDs will take care of that

what is the advantage of a blue color?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I toyed around with LEDs in the clusters on my '86 Daytona and '05 Caravan, but ended up switching back to standard bulbs as the LEDs I bought had more directed beams of light instead of all-around light distribution (as weak as they are). It looked OK I guess, but there were obvious bright spots where the LEDs focused.

If I were to convert again, I'd make sure the LEDs have more of a "mushroom" light pattern for more thorough distribution.

·
Registered
127 Posts
my OEM 194 bulbs are way too dim....so hopefully the LEDs will take care of that

what is the advantage of a blue color?
Marty, the instrument cluster on the GLHS has a blueish green cover so when the incandescents light up the gages have a bluesish green color to them. I was afraid the bright whites would be too much white so I went with the ice blue. I like the coloring it ended up giving off, but bright whites may have been a tad bit brighter.

When you search LEDs, check the light pattern. You will see some only have a 90, 120, 180, or 360* light field.

Either way, they are only like $15 for a pack of 10. If you get them and don't like them, let me know and I may buy them from you.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Many years ago I bought both red and green LED's to replace side marker and dash lights in my vehicles. Ordered from some random company on Ebay. They were coming from China. So I get the order in the mail within a week or so and instead of two packs of ten lights, I received two packs of 50 lights! Total cost shipped from China was $8! (lol). Obviously a mistake, but hey for once their mistake worked in my favor. I contacted the company, but never received a reply back.
I took off the plastic condoms out of the cluster and the lights look at least 500% brighter than original. I can actually see and read my dash cluster now at night! Looking at the picture below, the heater control and rear defrost still has incandescent bulbs installed. You can barely see that they're on. They obviously consume far less energy, so easier on the electrical system. Only downside (at least the ones I bought) is the dimmer isn't functional anymore. That is okay at I always had them on full brightness before. I have bought both 5 LED and 10 LED versions, they are about exactly the same brightness.
IMG_7960.JPG
IMG_0949.JPG

·
Registered
127 Posts
Can the switch bulbs be replaced? I took my switches out and I can remove the bulb housing from the switches, but I could not figure out how to get the bulb out of its housing.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Can the switch bulbs be replaced? I took my switches out and I can remove the bulb housing from the switches, but I could not figure out how to get the bulb out of its housing.
Switch bulbs? Not exactly sure what your referring to, but all dash lights including turn signals, HVAC control, side marker, defrost, rear tailgate, have all been switched out and functional. I think about the only ones I didn't switch out were the glove box, ash tray light, and key hole light on the L-bodies I have that have the light group option. IIRC, the terminal connector as well as the part that fits into the HVAC on the L-body changed between the 85 and 86 models. Both just use the same common 194 style bulb. The AC equipped cars also have that center console light which takes a different style bulb. I think the auto gear selector bulb also uses the same 194 style bulb.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Switch bulbs? Not exactly sure what your referring to, but all dash lights including turn signals, HVAC control, side marker, defrost, rear tailgate, have all been switched out and functional. I think about the only ones I didn't switch out were the glove box, ash tray light, and key hole light on the L-bodies I have that have the light group option. IIRC, the terminal connector as well as the part that fits into the HVAC on the L-body changed between the 85 and 86 models. Both just use the same common 194 style bulb. The AC equipped cars also have that center console light which takes a different style bulb. I think the auto gear selector bulb also uses the same 194 style bulb.
Specifically the hatch release switch and defroster switch bulbs. The bulb housing is kind if slip fit onto the switch, but I could not see how to get the bulbs out of their housings. It was almost like the bulb is part of the housing. Maybe I was just being too gentle with it?

Update:

So I pulled the hatch release and defrost switches and pulled HARD on the housing and got them to pop off. Now they have the LEDs in there as well.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
With cheap Amazon LED blubs from China....you get what you pay for! Those ones pictured will seem great for a while but eventually they will start flickering or stop working. Im not a fan of pulling out the cluster often to replace cheap bulbs! I get all my bulbs from www.vleds.com Yes, they are a lot more expensive, but the quality and warranty are worth it to me. For dash LED conversions I would highly suggest a bulb that fires light in all directions. Blue or Green work perfect....White will also work....anything else and your wasting your money.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
With cheap Amazon LED blubs from China....you get what you pay for! Those ones pictured will seem great for a while but eventually they will start flickering or stop working. Im not a fan of pulling out the cluster often to replace cheap bulbs! I get all my bulbs from www.vleds.com Yes, they are a lot more expensive, but the quality and warranty are worth it to me. For dash LED conversions I would highly suggest a bulb that fires light in all directions. Blue or Green work perfect....White will also work....anything else and your wasting your money.
I hear yeah, but most LED's are not made in USA. There is obviously good and bad quality stuff that comes out of China. Heck, even Snap-on, Milwaukee, Dewalt, etc, are making tools in China now.
FWIW, my ElCheapo's have been in my cars for 6-8 years now and still work fine. A regular incandescent bulb could have failed by now.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK bought some green LED bulbs and installed them in my 1994 Dodge Ram Van. They were slightly
longer than the 194 incandescent bulbs so it was not possible to use the plastic diffusers that were over my
old bulbs. No matter as they were not needed. The lights look brighter and much easier on the eyes! Also they
will be easier to remove than the old ones as they were hard to remove. Although doubt that will be necessary.

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
I Really like the green effect on that console!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts