Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have any expierience with indexing spark plugs in a 2.2?
I know certain engines work better with the gap pointed in certain degrees
from the center toward the exhaust valve, and considering the two different head designs swirl and g casting, has anyone actually experimented with this

jamie
aint no mixup my sawzall cant fix up

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I index my plugs. I have them point toward the exhaust valve. I try for more of the center edge of the valve. Common advice is to get a few packages of plugs and you should be able to to get most of them pointed in the right direction. I think I only had 2 that work for and I had to use the index washer for the other 2. I would also number them so when you take them out you know where they go back. :D

Improvements noticed? Never did back to back dyno. Never really noticed anything. I think it is worth while to do with our heads. I read anywhere from 1-5% increase, on other engines... Every little bit helps.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
i took the washers from other spark plugs, you should be able to thread them off and back on...just dont bend them! use a vise its easiest.

when you index you want as much area as you can towards the intake valve so that that air can be ingited easier.

Also when I indexed my plugs, I tried to make sure that they were all threaded in approx the same depths, this helps assure everything is going to fire in sync along with the indexing.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Oldie but a goodie! I got a chance to play with the toys today, err ummm, I mean my '85 GLH Turbo. It is upgraded/updated/changed to T2 with a swirl head and appropriate pistons to match etc... in essence like an '86. I got me 8 NGK 7214's and was able to find 4 that indexed the way I wanted them too. I placed the back of the ground strap between 4 and 5 o'clock, if you're looking from the front of the car. I will take it for a drive tomorrow to see how it likes it....... Merry Christmas everyone!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Oldie but a goodie! I got a chance to play with the toys today, err ummm, I mean my '85 GLH Turbo. It is upgraded/updated/changed to T2 with a swirl head and appropriate pistons to match etc... in essence like an '86. I got me 8 NGK 7214's and was able to find 4 that indexed the way I wanted them too. I placed the back of the ground strap between 4 and 5 o'clock, if you're looking from the front of the car. I will take it for a drive tomorrow to see how it likes it....... Merry Christmas everyone!
Wow, a lot smoother, I can tell that about it. I know not very scientific but.... The old plugs were a year old ngk v-power and were not indexed and were not worn much and had good burn indications. I will continue this on the next plug changes on all my turbo dodges....took maybe an extra 20-30 minutes but worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm about to do that. Toward the exhaust valve you say? I don't have access to a dynamo. We'll see if I don't have to gas up so often.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I wouldn't fool with the copper washers.....buy 6 or 8 plugs and you should get them to land where you want by trial and error. What ever you do don't tighten them all the way at first. Get them hand tight and see if the additional turn required will get them in the sweet spot, if not try it in another cylinder. This way you haven't compressed the washer until you get it spot on. And yup I oriented mine that way because boost is cramming the cylinder full and it is stacking on the exhaust side.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts