Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we all know j bodys have a fair amount of body roll and i have been digging through the forums for a solution. the common answer seems to be upgraded shocks/struts, front strut tower brace ( i havent heard to much of a rear brace on a j body) , poly bushings and a upgraded sway bar. But.. the 87 lebaron indy pace car has what seems to be a subframe connector, a roll bar and different rear shocks?

what im wondering is if anyone has any aditional info on this cars suspension and if anyone has attempted to duplicat this on their own j body.

pics of the 87 lebaron pace car
'87 Lebaron Pace Car - Album - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

·
Legendary Driver
10,889 Posts
so were you the one selling it after getting it from the CART auctionor did you buy it from the guy selling it after he bought it from CART auction?

I'd love to see some more pics of how that X brace attaches and the subframe connectors.

As far as that brace and the subframe connectors I think that you have the most extreme mods.

An 89/90 kmember and a-arms with Energy Suspension bushings would put less stress on the chassis over bumps. Then next would be to add spherical end links to the sway bar like this. Sway Bar End Links

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for tip on the end links, GLHNSLHT2. ill have to do some research on those.

but no, i am not the owner of this car i found pictures of it when it was posted on ebay a few years ago and didnt think much of it since i was new to the TD world, but i recently found the pitures again and was wondering if anyone had attemted the x fame design themselves

i would also like to see more pictures of the design
im really hoping someone has more info too :fingersx:

·
Premium Member
8,920 Posts
+1 on the sway bar end links and dual pivot upgrade..
the dual pivot also removes a lot of 'stiction' from the front suspension making it more 'supple' mmmm

ILO the dual pivot, stiffer reinforced caravan LCA's are a bolt-in

consider reinforcing/boxing the track bar and replacing those bushings with poly

similarly boxing in the U-channel of the rear axle will increase its torsional stiffness,
acting as a thicker anti-sway bar - reducing body roll

lol or a bolt on 'proper' sway bar would be better..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:confused: uhhh what?? ^^

im kinda new to the whole upgraded suspension thing and now im confused lol

im just looking for a way to reduce the chassis flex and the x frame seemed the best route but you seem to know whats actualy best, detobias. i think??

·
Premium Member
8,920 Posts
well what yu want?

reduced body roll,
more rigid chassis,
better handling car ..

or all of the above ;)

yur OP didnt mention chassis flex, instead seemed concerned with body roll...

is yur car a convert. or a coupe?
if its a coupe then I would consider chassis flex a non-issue, and a front strut brace would be adequate...
for a convert., of course the strut brace, then you could add the X-frame or other subframe connectors, and a B-pillar brace (would run just behind front seat backs) or serious beefy roll-bar.

dunno if a rear spring tower brace is necessary since the convert. (all J?) have a beefy added crossmember between them already; someone else can jump in on this?

all the suggestions above (by me & T2) will improve the 'handling' (including reducing body roll), but not the chassis rigidity...

·
Registered
450 Posts
That X-frame looks neat.
What would it do, reduce body roll? chassis rigidity?

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make one?

Thanks
Moe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts