Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is needed to use an '89 T-2 with the factory GLHS platform? Anyone used a later motor with the '87 525? Can the '87 pulleys, sprockets, trans all be bolted to the later motor? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
I am not sure what all you would need to do for the wiring. But the trans will fit right up to any of the later engines. I know that I put a CB right up to a 525 out of a GLHS and everything worked fine. But you would need a 5 bolt pulley and need to switch over to a square tooth timing belt components if you too much later, I am not sure what year exactly they swapped those out. But the the alternator and water pump can be bolted right up.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
An a555 would work nicely with minimal modification with of the mounting points, but there would be modification required to put it into a GLHS and that is without using cable shift. Which if you would go with cable shift, you would have to cut into the car. But you can put in the rod shift with a modified transmission bracket and it would be a great time to upgrade to the heim joint setup.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, thanks I know about the weak 525 but thats not feasible at this point. I have a bad motor, not a bad trans. I have a totally new long block '89 T2 that I plan to install. I'd like to keep the original motor but I'm not dropping a fortune in machine work and I'm not dropping a fortune doing a 555 conversion either. I HAVE a new '89 T2 and a good stock trans. Car will remain to stock performance settings. I have not yet pulled the original engine out of the GLHS but it's extremely close and right now my main concern is the flywheel and how many bolts it has. Anyone done this?

·
Registered
999 Posts
Pull it out as a longblock assy., just as was stated earlier, and drop it into your car. Finish putting it together & drive away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts