Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a built engine on a stand out in the garage. I have the timing belt set right now to standard. Just as the manual tells me to. I got a fidenza cam gear for the engine, is there any predetermined setting to start at or is that point simply 0 until I get the car running?

Specs-
2.5L +.020 Weisco pistons
Stock Swirl head w/ back-cat SS valves, stock size
Ported manifolds (not brave enough to do the head :bash: )
Stock 89 2.5L T1 cam
Turbonetics Super 60 turbo w/ 2.5in swingvalve
3in exhaust
FWD Stage 5 ECU(I think that's it, whatever the highest is, 18-22psi?)

Anything else I need to tell?

This is in an 89 Daytona Shelby w/ A555. I am hoping there will be some general starting point that "works best" with a setup like this.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read though all that and all the links to various other threads, PDFs, and pictures. I am more confused then ever. I understand the principle of what is going on no problem. You are seting "true" TDC to the true maximum opening of #1 intake valve. This point I am to understand differs from the point one would find using a service manual and the markings on the crank and oil pump intermediate shaft?

My problem is this, I'm a noob to engine building. I think I have the timing set reasonably right on this engine, but with it on the stand and no flywheel attached to it I don't know how to tell TDC from 180 out. I assume once I am sure #1 is at TDC the procedure could be done on an engine stand the same as it would be in the car? If so, would I then set the Adjustible cam gear to "0" once I get everything alined where it should be? I guess I got this gear not really understanding how timing affects performance and how to set it up.

·
Administrator
24,824 Posts
The piston itself at TDC will not be 180 deg out,the pistons just go up and down,it is the valve opening in relationship to piston position that determines engine valve timing.With #1 at TDC you have to position the Cam so both valves are closed on #1 cylinder then you are on the compression stroke of #1 cylinder.
I am not familiar with adjustable gears but stock the cam sprocket is positioned so that the slot in the sprocket is a 12 o'clock with centerline of the head.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts