Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.. Im looking to install a 3 inch exhaust on my 89 shelby daytona 2.2 turbo using the stock exhaust manifold..i was wondering if anyone knows the size of the outlet on the manifold and also whats the best/easiest way of doing this? the kit im looking at includes a downpipe but i dont know if it will bolt up to the manifold or what? any help greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
if the downpipe is from a vendor it should bolt up without an issue. the only way to tell what size outlet you have on the swingvalve is to measure across the ears of the bolts.

Norm

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
even if the ears only measure out to 2.25" you should be able to trim some out of the flange they send you to get it to bolt up.

Norm

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
yur 89 *should* have a wide flange, 2.5" 'swingvalve'

the factory downpipe *should* be a 2.5" ...

I used a flowmaster reducer cone R3025 to transition from my 2.5" downpipe to the 3" mandrel bent system I purchased from FWD

·
Registered
328 Posts
hey man I live in Shediac and I haven't seen anybody else driving a Daytona around here other than me, mine is Red with black wheels we should meet up sometime and I could teach you about these cars since I got my first one in 1998, now own 7 TD's

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea i think i may have seen you around once or twice... id appreciate that if youd be willing to do that cus i just got this car and am looking to do some upgrades in the near futur

·
Registered
228 Posts
I used a new three inch turbo exhaust on my car and it makes the exhaust a lot easier to install. There is also a lot less restrection on the exhaust side of the turbo . My L body exhaust is three inch stainless that I made using mandrel bends and tiged up myself. Lost all my computer info due to a virus or I would gibe the the part number and company
Chip:cool:

·
Legendary Driver
10,963 Posts
That depends. My side exit was just a burble inside the car with 3" straight pipe. Above 80MPH it became errily quiet inside the car. Where as if your rear exit doesn't get outside the bumper it will resonate into the car quite badly. My side exit wasn't any louder than the rear exit on my other TD.

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
of course your results may vary :) my 2 points of reference are:

1. my (old) 83.5 SC with hooker -> 2-1/2" cherry bomb (cat location) , side exit was too loud so I added the over axle pipe.. it did quiet it down, but was still Loud at full throttle >3K

2. friends 87 Shelby Z went from stock to 2-1/2" off DP side exit no cat/muff, too loud so added the over axle pipe - with a chrome tip past the bumper ;) , was def quieter inside.. still loud of course, but does quiet down when turbo is spooled up..

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
hahahaha loud is subjective unmuffler V8 is tolerable in my book ask my wife and daughter you may get a different answer hahahahaha

·
Legendary Driver
10,963 Posts
I was comparing 3" straight pipe side exit to 3" straight pipe rear exit inside the car. They're about the same if you set them up correctly.

The straight pipe isn't loud in my book, but it attracts the attention of the Po Po very fast. I muffle everything now. A Magnaflow quiets them down plenty but doesn't hurt the flow. I like to go fast. And if I can do that without attracting the attention of every pig out there all the better :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
M exhaust was not too loud untill I went under a bridge and hammered the throttle almost broke my ear drum it HURT! It was all the way out the back I now have a muffler ( Summit stainless straight through design ) Sweer:cool:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey finally got my exhaust and the donut on the downpipe is the same size as the swingvalve..do i need a new swing valve for 3 inch exhaust or can i run it without he donut cus it bolts up wothout it

1 - 20 of 37 Posts