Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an autometer egt gauge.

Whats the right way to install this? I assume its the threaded NPT fitting and not the big hose clamp.

The fitting is almost 1/2" long. Wont the fitting and the probe obstruct the exhaust flow in the manifold?

How far out of the fitting do you put the probe?

Where do you put the fitting? I'm thinking #4 runner about 2 inches from the head.

Do I just drill a hole and tap it?

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
I did mine 1.5 inch from the head surface. I did it in-car and it took about 2 hours. Use the fitting. Do not thread the tap all the way and then the fitting won't thread all the way in since it is tapered. Make sure you run a very good ground wire from the engine to the gauges for best results.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I think it would be a good time to reconsider the "traditional" placement of the probe. While great for readings on one cylinder ... what about the other three? In the SW right near the O2 bung might be a better location.

Once a baseline is established for this location, with a good tune, variations in EGT readings would be more meaningful as it relates to the whole engine .... not just 25% of it. As an added bonus, you'd see what the turbo is seeing temperature wise.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
I think it would be a good time to reconsider the "traditional" placement of the probe. While great for readings on one cylinder ... what about the other three? In the SW right near the O2 bung might be a better location.

Once a baseline is established for this location, with a good tune, variations in EGT readings would be more meaningful as it relates to the whole engine .... not just 25% of it. As an added bonus, you'd see what the turbo is seeing temperature wise.

My answer to that would be that perhaps the reading could be higher or lower than actual. For example, if you run too rich you may be reading hotter than your really are since the combustion could continue past the turbine. Just a theory.
I may try this once I run my o2 readings from my wideband and can use the
swingvalve o2 bung for the probe.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I guess that was my point. When you say actual .. what does that mean exactly? The real issue is how complete do we want the data to be. That would depend on where the data was taken. Adjustments for location and therefore temperature should be made, of course. After that, the data is just that ... data.

Any funky fuel happenings in cylinders 1-2-3 would be missed and/or misinterpreted because there's a lack of EGT data at these locations. Moving the probe downstream means the probe can monitor the complete exhaust system to that point. All the cylinders. Whatever lower temperature is seen there is relative. The important things are the spikes in temperature.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
I would think the spikes would be blended iand muddled up into the averages, so less effective. Number 4 cyl runs the leanest( if my thinking is right) and therefore is the most important to monitor.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I would think the spikes would be blended iand muddled up into the averages, so less effective.
Over fueling and lean conditions don't show as "averages" in temperature readings. They still show as spikes and are indicators of a problem.
Number 4 cyl runs the leanest( if my thinking is right) and therefore is the most important to monitor.
That's what they say.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
I say be safe and buy 4 :p
Or spend the money on a wideband instead. I have both, and I will tell you that the egt gauge saved my ass, I rushed to get my car running and left the iginition timing at 0. my egts were pegged at 1600 for a split second and the wideband was reading 11-12 under heavy boost.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thedodgegarage (Gary Donovan) says he does the clamp method. is anything wrong with that? it seems easier and faster. (usual indicators its inferior)

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
you coould be running upwards of 30psi in there, so what would you rather have sealing things an easy clamp or a strong tapered sealed fitting made specifically for this purpose? If you were doing a natural aspirated install or installing after the turbo, then the clamp would be ok.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I would have to say that if I were to only run one single egt probe, I would stick in in the #4 runner. Assuming everything else is running properly, the number four cylinder will be the first to show signs of high egts. I mounted my probe in the #1 runner on my T3 because it is farthest away from the water source.

Obviously, four egt gauges would be the best, and a wideband is a no brainer, but at the very least run the egt in the #4 runner. Oh, and I would tap my manifold. The strap thing probably works fine, but I would imagine that a drilled and tapped setup would be far more durable in the long run.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
i have mine right behind his clamp in that picture he posted. Wallace tapped mine where he runs his

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
One EGT probe in #4 runner is your best bet. That's the cylinder with the least amount of coolant flow and runs the hottest. From the sounds of it I have mine mounted in the same spot as xtrempickup. I've had my guage read 1600+ briefly a few times. A good guage to have, but a wideband 02 is also handy and I finally invested in one. Now I just have to finish the plug in so that I can record on my OTC scan tool and I can track knock retard etc. Lucky I have forged pistons and I haven't melted anything yet. Still have another cal I have to test out and get this car running the way it should.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts