Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Installing new turbo

845 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  90vntShadow 
#1 ·
What is the best route to install a new turbo? How to, and what to watch out for. Thanks

#3 ·
That is what everybody will tell you, but not necessary. I removed mine from the
bottom after removing the passenger cv shaft and half shaft. Remove all lines and
hoses, make sure you remove any brackets on rear of motor. They get in the way.
You might have to thin wall a box end wrench to get three of the bolts that you can
see from the bottom, the last one is a mother. I used a socket with a swivel and
exacly the right combination of extensions to bring the extensions close to the fire wall
and cracked it loose with a breaker bar. I actually had better luck putting the socket on the nut from underneath, even though the nut is on top. Also had to use a cheater bar on the wrench for the other three. Use free-all on the nuts, this stuff is amazing. Let it soak on there a bit. Upon installation make sure your lines are good, most people recommend replacing them. Turbos Unleashed |:..:| Shelby Dodge & Chrysler turbos, intercoolers, headers, parts and accessories has a nice braided set. I drained my radiator before disconnecting any lines. Good luck. I had mine of in about 2hrs.
If it is time for a new head gasket, you might as well pull the head. Your choice.
There might be a few steps I missed, like disconnecting the down pipe. Obvious stuff.
You also have to remove wheel nut and at least one ball joint to get cv shaft out.
Make sure it is the ball joint that does not adjust your camber, I don't remember
which one.

#4 ·
I think i'd rather pull the head to do it, than messing with the cvs, and it wouldnt hurt to put a new head gasket on it, and new timing belt. :)

#6 ·
Good idea if you have a lot of miles, mine had less than 10,000 on the head gasket.
Good time to port the exhaust manifold of buy one, I have one if you are interested
I can send pics later. Glass peeded, resurfaced turbo flange. $100.00 plus shipping.
I did the port work myself, Honeywell machinist for 15yrs. It is a 2.2 TII manifold with
Garrett turbo flange. Not sure if the 2.5 manifold is the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.