Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a link to my original "help" thread. Original thread

I'm making a new one for the install, I have never done this before, and want some quick pointers/tips before I go forward.

I have the new noid, I'm confident I know how it hooks up.

I've been told to remove the passenger side axel, and turbo support bracket. I plan on doing this to free up more room.

Would it be much easier just to remove the entire starter, and then replace the solenoid, or do you think I can get at the solenoid while the starter is still attached, and replace it in car?

What's the best way to attach the electrical cables, while the starter is out, pulling the cables out with it. Or, putting the new starter in, and attaching them while the starter is bolted in?

Is it hard to re-work the cables if I were to pull them out?

Any other tips?

·
Banned
3 Posts
have done this countlees times from omnis to minivans.
undo the battery cable from the battery
remove the turbo bracket (if its still there)
remove the 3 bolts on the starter
it comes right out with a twist of the wrist.

·
Banned
3 Posts
never, i had cars that didnt have the support brackets in 10-12 min with a ratchet and a longer extension, its simple.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Done and running. 2.75 hours. Would have gone a lot quicker if, one of the three screws on the solenoid wasn't stripped, or, the turbo support bracket bolt wasn't in 32nd measurements.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Woo hoo. The hardest part is getting the starter out and in without destroying the heat shield around it. I have a brand new Mopar one and I cringe every time I Crush it, bend it, twist it when I'm trying to do something up there.

The turbo support bracket bolts are metric. 18mm at the block and 15mm at the turbo.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honest to god, the block bolt wasn't metric. We tried using a 9/16, 15mm, and nothing worked. It had to have been a standard 32nd size bolt...nothing worked. It was smaller than an 18mm for what it's worth.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Honest to god, the block bolt wasn't metric. We tried using a 9/16, 15mm, and nothing worked. It had to have been a standard 32nd size bolt...nothing worked. It was smaller than an 18mm for what it's worth.
It was 15mm when it left the factory. THAT bolt must have originally been the one on the turbo. They disappear/shrink with the turbo heat. I was able to tap a 9/16 onto mine and get it off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts