Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I've never installed an intercooler, and by install i mean 'hook' it up...

can someone please post detailed pics of how their intercooler is hooked up?

I have an 86 shelby charger turbo. i bought an intercooler and bov. i dont how to install them... i think "hook them up" would be better to say, lol

anything will help. thanks so much!

Attachments

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
If you havent converted the car to t2 you will need to make an elbow on the intake for the car to be intercooled. Otherwise you are not going to be able to intercool a t1 log intake car.
Q

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
Does this diagram help at all?

Attachments

·
Registered
681 Posts
Your diagram looks like you are dumping the intercooled air into the exhaust stream. Incorrect.

Your intercooler and BOV are on the cold side of the turbo; sitting between the turbo compressor outlet and feeding into the throttle body inlet. BOV location can be before or after (mine is before) the intercooler. The exhaust (hot) side of the turbo is a different 'system' unto itself and will not interact with your intercooled air at all.

·
Legendary Driver
10,968 Posts
Ok so I've never installed an intercooler, and by install i mean 'hook' it up...

can someone please post detailed pics of how their intercooler is hooked up?

I have an 86 shelby charger turbo. i bought an intercooler and bov. i dont how to install them... i think "hook them up" would be better to say, lol

anything will help. thanks so much!
+1 to what turbokid said. The 84-87 T1 non-intercooled setups have the throttle body before the turbo. A BOV is not nessecary since there's no pressure spike when you close the throttle.

There are 2 ways to intercool these early cars. Either cut the intake where air enters from the turbo and weld on an elbow, turn the oulet on the turbo or weld an elbow on that to get your hoses pointed towards the front of the car to where you'll mount your i/c. Or convert to a blowthrough intake from the T2/T4 and 1988+ T1 cars. This requires modding the turbo and exhaust manifold a bit as well as updating the electronics.

Both work. The 2nd way is more efficient especially if you use the 87 T2 2 piece intake. You'll need a BOV if you go the 2nd route.

Read The Turbo Database at Donovan's Dodge Garage to get yourself familiar with these cars and the swaps discussed above. It'll answer a lot of your questions and probe new ones.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your diagram looks like you are dumping the intercooled air into the exhaust stream. Incorrect.

Your intercooler and BOV are on the cold side of the turbo; sitting between the turbo compressor outlet and feeding into the throttle body inlet. BOV location can be before or after (mine is before) the intercooler. The exhaust (hot) side of the turbo is a different 'system' unto itself and will not interact with your intercooled air at all.

ah! i dont know why, but ive just always, for some ridiculous reason, thought that your exhaust was "recycled" and put into your intake. um... lol just realized how the intercooler/turbo/bov truly worked.... still a bit unsure on how to install intercooler... ill post a more detailed diagram to double check...

thanks again.
mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts