Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Walbro in tank for the Spirit, but I'm not sure how to go about attaching the 92 power leads to the new pump.

I would like to solder the connections, but can I use heat shrink to cover the connections?

I'm afraid that if I use electrical tape it will melt.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I soldered and shrink wrapped mine.
Tim

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Solder and heat shrink will work. So will self-sealing butt-connectors. After you crimp them you heat them like heat shrink and they shrink down and they have a resin in them that seals the connection. I use them exclusively(when I have to butt-connect something). They are kind of pricey, but work VERY well. They were the ONLY thing I used when I worked on boats....

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I have seen those, but it seems like when you crimp it, it would tear the shielding. The ones ive seen have the soft shrink coating over the entire connector. What kind of crimp tool do you use?

The only time I crimp things is when working with audio, and I usually soder all of that stuff too...

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I use a Klien crimper. The thing to remember when using those connectors is to not use too much pressure or otherwise you will run in to the problem you've described. The semi-redeaming thing is that when you shrink them down and the resin melts it will still seal the connection. The only reason you need to use an insulated connection in the case is becuase you don't want to chance a spark. Otherwise it wouldn't matter as gasoline is not conductive...

·
Registered
999 Posts
I drilled the center stop out of yellow butt connectors & slid them on. Then I soldered the wires together, slid the butts over the solder & crimped 'em down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts