Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bet that this has been done before, but I was just wondering, which parts from the earlier Daytona's, (mainly body and not interior) are interchangeable. I know that I have seen that fenders are, but what about doors, rear latches and other parts.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No body wants to help get this thread going? I know that there are a lot of people that would like to know some of this stuff. Plus why not throw in what parts will work from other body styles, like motor mounts and other parts. Brakes are pretty much interchangeable between all Daytonas and FWD Mopars, but I know that they changed the front brake mounting brackets. But what year did that change happen?

·
Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 96 Jeep XJ, '13 300C
5,938 Posts
This topic has been discussed numerous times already actually. Most EEK engine parts are interchangeable including mounts etc. Unless it's an L body, you can probably make it work. As far as Daytonas, there were changes to items like the rear spoiler and the hood, but most 1-2.5 gen Daytona body parts will interchange otherwise. 3rd gen is a different animal all together. The LeBaron might share fenders with the Daytona on 87-91 models (I've never really compared them closely), but certainly nothing else in the EEK line will interchange for body parts.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured that this had been discussed before, but I am betting that there are people out there that don't know that much about the Daytona's and the G-bodies all together. I personally am new to them, I am basically experienced only on the l-bodies, so I am still out of my zone of comfort. But I was looking at having them do a sticky with this since it would take some time to sift through all of the threads to find what people want to find. But thanks for that input. BTW what do you mean by 2.5 gen? I know 1st Gen is 84 to 86, 2nd Gen is 87 and 88, then is 89 to 91 the transition period to 3rd Gen.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Yeah, second gen was '87-88. 2.5 gen was '89-91 because they changed the nose (added openings), ground effects, and a few other little items. '90 saw an interior change too. Then in '91 they changed the center console to match the LeBaron, so '90's interior is a 1-off. It's a pain trying to find a side-opening center console for a '90 that isn't worn out.

If you're coming from an L-body background then the Daytona should be cake for you. Lots more room to work, easier to find parts, and the majority of the parts were stronger from the factory. Of course the extra weight sucks, but they're definately the sportier of the TD's.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lots more room to work, easier to find parts,
And that is why I changed, LOL. But I am getting the 89 ES with T-tops, so there are a lot of things that were unique to the Daytona on that aspect. But I know I would like to know what are some of the parts that can be used from other cars/years. I know where there is an 85 Daytona that I have access to that has T-tops, so I didn't know what all worked from it over to my 89.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Well, pretty much everything. I mean, engine-wise the differences are moslty obvious. '85 -> 2.2, log intake, PM/LM computer. '89 -> 2.5 common block, 1-piece intake, SMEC. '85 supposedly had a poor distributor setup. The '89 will have the better transmission. Body-wise, the fenders should work but the ground effects are different. Wheels will swap. All the interior parts will swap. The rear hatch technically is interchangeable, but the spoiler is different. T-tops are the same on both cars. I haven't dealt with 1st gens a lot, so I don't know if the brake system changed. I'm sure it's easy enough to figure out though. They should both have 10" front rotors, but the '85 will likely have rear drums whereas your ES is likely to have rear disc.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
most everything will from start to finish of the daytona runs.
-90-91 the hood latch location moved on the hood and support. 92-93 hood lacth moved on the support also. easily remedied if you have a donor.
-later daytonas got increased stiffening in the 1/4 areas to reduce NVH levels.
-all the gfx will fit providing you have the mounting brackets.
-92-93 nose will fit all fenders just need to fill 3 holes per fender.
-92-93 hood hinges are the same as 1989 which means they will fit 87-88.
-92-93 doors are the same as the others but the window surround trim is more curved than earlier years. window trim is not interchangable w/out the door
-the sub structure of the car is pretty much the same(meaning a 1985 could become a 1987 or1992 and so on).
- interior chages but they are only brackets bolted to the doors and interior handle got moved as well as the lock rod (1990-1993)
-windows windshields window regulator parts all the same from start to finish.
-t-top window tracks had extra stops added on .
- weather strips are all the same except the side roll down window weatherstrip on 1987 hard top due to the fact that had passive restraints but any others can be trim to fit.
-wiring harness connectors did change but most of the colors are the same (1992/93 mirrors will bolt to a 1987 just need to pull the pins on the connector and put them in the proper style)
-t-top mirrors are different than hard top mirrors
-taillights from different years will fit any year as long as you use the fiberglass plug they mount to
-rear axles fit must use the bolt in bracket 1987-88 have solid rear swaybars in the shelby z models (pacifica may as well)
-1987-88 front sway bar on the shelby z is 1.25"
-1992-93 heater box is different than 1984-1989 (1990 and 1991 i am unsure of )
- a pillar and 1/4 interior trim on a t-top is the same as hard top just loped off
-door opening weatherstrip on a t-top car is the same a hardtop just trimmed to fit
-a t-top car is a hard top with the roof literally sawzalled out as well as the doors. extra bracing was added in the b pillar roof (obviously) and doors.

Norm

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
on my 1990 dodge daytona ES V6 I have swapped the ATX for MTX used a 1992 Daytona Iroc for parts, the 1992 center console can be swapped in as long as you have the complete bracket assy, It sits lower than the 1990 center console and will give an extra holder for cd/dvds, DVD are a perfect fit for the upper holder, where they fortune tellers? ;)

I also use a 1992 Taillight assembly on my 1990, it has a small gap at the bottom but really isn't very noticeable.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is what I was talking about, thanks guys. Now only to get it stickied.

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
I have 2 first gens and a second gen daytona so what you lookin for?

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, I am not really looking for anything, but more or less looking to start a thread to find interchangeable parts between the years.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
The dual-belt setup was used all the way back to '84 on the Daytona and you can find them in '87 & '88 LeBaron coupes. It was kinda of an interesting system and I appreciate the automatic seatbelts, but I don't think they went over well with the general public. It probably isn't that hard to swap over to a 1-piece belt system though if you wanted to go that route.

·
We'll do it live!
7,614 Posts
The lebaron might share fenders with the Daytona on 87-91 models
I'm pretty sure the fenders wouldn't work. The doors are alot more rounded off in the front on a daytona then a lebaron.

You could probably get away with using a lebaron rear bumper on a daytona.

You can also use the nose from a lebaron, or a lancer on a Daytona. I think the headlight motors on the lebaron would be plug and play in 2nd gen daytona.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
^ +1

the rear interior upper quarter trim is different on the single belt system.

the nut, for the shoulder harness, should be in the body as t-top cars share the same uni-body and they used the single belt

same for the center recepticle

the tab on the door would need to be cut off for the door recepticle

the upper window run is different as it is cut out for the recepticle and must be sourced from a single belt hardtop of any year.

Norm

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
There's a lot to do sure, but like I said it isn't that hard (if you know what you're doing that is).

I didn't know a Lancer nose would work on the Daytona. I figured it'd be smaller. I know the LeBaron/Daytona noses will interchange. There's a pick running around of a LeBaron with a Daytona nose on it. Looks pretty damn good I think. Closest thing we got to the Daytona convertible after they kicked the 1st gen prototype to the curb. So I know the front of the fender is the same and the mounting points are the same. The question is if the door matches the inner curve or not. Obviously the doors are different on the rear edge, but the curve looks the same. Anyone wanna do some measuring and/or test fitting?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bet that this has been done before, but I was just wondering, which parts from the earlier Daytona's, (mainly body and not interior) are interchangeable. I know that I have seen that fenders are, but what about doors, rear latches and other parts.
If you’re looking for different OEM wheels that complement the car subtly, 02 neon has great replacements.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts