Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to intercool my '86 Laser, and was under the impression that rewiring the car to '89 TII harness and computer would be needed.

However, I'm reading thedodgegarage.com thoroughly and found I can just intercool the TI w/o rewiring? This would save me a lot of time and money, since they say you can run up to 20 psi on the boost, which was where I want to be.

Beyond converting the TI Garrett to a TII type turbo, to accept the intercooling, what else do I need to know/do?

·
Banned
4 Posts
Personally I would convert the car to 87 TII status and be done with it.

That being said, you will have to run bigger injectors in two of the cyls. as they run leaner with the log. You will have to clock the compressor housing to point forward, and plumb it all in. Dont forget that you will have to make accomodations for all that extra air you will bepumping in there which means extra injectors, or bigger injectors with a adj. FPR, and a RRR.

As I say if your goal is to SAFLY run 20+PSI, then you will probably save a lot of heartache, and money on new pistons by converting to 87 TII electronics which is really not that hard, and spending about $100 in the swap meet section of the board or your local pick your part ot get the conversion parts to finsih off your project "right". IMHO.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts