Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start- yes I'm aware of Gary Donovan's website. Yes, I used the search feature at the top of the page. I cannot find any posts for what I'm looking for, since they're all from 2006 about parts for sale. If you can send me one, please link it.

If not, can you all show me how exactly you've mounted your intercoolers? My case is a turbo 1 Daytona Turbo Z. What one did you buy and where from? Why did you buy the one you did? Can you provide pictures of how it is set up? Did you clock the turbo to change the way it sits? This is a big part of my project since I have two 944's to beat as well as a 2002 2.0 Subaru WRX. I know these engines can be powerhouses with a little love.

Thank you

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
You're not gonna find much info on the old school pull through intercoolers but there is some. I've posted plenty about them myself on this forum and T-M forum. You're really handicapping yourself staying with the 42mm pull or draw through throttle body. With that style of TB, you need to go far bigger than 42mm if you're looking for large performance gains. Yes you can make them work, but switching over to the later style intake is much easier AND the performance is a BIGGER gain. So why wouldn't you take the easier and better approach? Not only is the TB too small, the intake manifold design is terrible! With that said, I've had intercooled log manifold car (like what you have), for the past 35 years. If you are a glutton for punishment, be prepared to modify the intake manifold and port it extensively. Porting it will make it suck less (lol). Be prepared to have your pull through TB enlarged to around 46mm (the max it can go). That being said, it will still be too small.
Anyway, here is a few attachments of draw through intercoolers and porting and modifying
log manifolds.

Newspaper Motor vehicle Font Publication History
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Blue Automotive design
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Gas
Motor vehicle Gas Machine Auto part Engineering
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive design
Motor vehicle Gas Machine Automotive design Automotive wheel system
Eye Automotive lighting Automotive tire Human body Grey
Petal Tints and shades Monochrome photography Monochrome Circle
Good luck!

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
You have to decide whether your going to change the intake manifold or not.

If not, Todd posted pics above and as he mentioned its the hard way to go.

If changing the intake to the later blow through design its easier.

Look up any picture of a T-II Daytona to get an idea of how it goes.

Secondly, you have to decide if you want a stock IC or not.

T-II rad and intercooler setups come up for sale on here.

If you want a FMIC (Front Mount Inter Cooler) their are endless options.

Many remove their front rubber bumper cover to mount the FMIC under there.

I've intercooled a 1985 without clocking the Turbo so it can be done with elbows.

It can be done without any electronic modifications if one is so inclined.

This is with using a blow through intake manifold, not your draw through.

Blow through intake manifolds are readily available from 1988 and newer T-I or T-II Engines.

Those are called 1 piece intakes, there are some better 2 piece from 1986-87 Intercooled Engines.

Thanks
Randy

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
You can check out a couple of my projects. My Laser's intercooler is shown on post# 60:

A video is on YouTube with a lot more:

It's possible to run new piping with the original battery location, but I relocated the battery to the rear to make room for a cold air intake, so that created a lot of room.

·
Registered
1992 dodge shadow es turbo
970 Posts
Any 1988 and up intake manifold t1 or t2 (only difference between t1 and t2 is the hole for the charge air temp sensor on the t2)will work for you, you’ll need the throttle body and fuel rail too. No idea on part number sorry

·
Registered
1985 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If anyone is in the New England area and has a spare sitting around, or you see one on ebay.. let me know. Marty has one but He is out til October 3rd and we don't have that long, thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts