Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 89 lebaron turbo convertible 2.5 auto with a 2.5 inch exhaust and thats about the only mods on the car. We replaced the head about a year ago and redid all the vacuum lines, hoses, seals etc. Well when I unhook the wastegate and i go for a drive and put my foot into it, one of the hoses that is somehow linked to the map sensor pops off. Its in the middle of between the valve cover and the intake and it is hooked up to manifold pressure. When I let off the gas it automatically starts running like shit and if you put your foot into it it just surges and bucks you all over the place. Question is, is this normal??? If i screw clamp the hose to the T will it not pop off and i can really see what this car will boost at? If you dont know what i am talking about i can take pictures of where it pops off and what hose it is.
Thanks
Q

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but its fun =) I have only experimented with it. A fellow td'er had an interesting question. He said that he had a stock exhaust and that when he unhooked his wastegate can nothing happened. So i wanted to see with a turbo car with an opened exhaust if it made a difference. And i can definitely tell it does before it cuts out at like 25 mph

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But can you tell me why???

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its a mitsu it needs to leave anyways =) But thanks for the info. I'll be nice to it for now on. Just wondering

·
Registered
12,120 Posts
its a mitsu it needs to leave anyways =) But thanks for the info. I'll be nice to it for now on. Just wondering
Id suggest that, if the engine doesnt go with the turbo then you have one V--E--R--Y sluggish Lebaron on your hands(a Spirit with a 2.2N/A in fairly uncared for shape would probably put on hurting on you).

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do all the maintanence work on it. I really need to stop playing around with it so much. Definitely don't wanna toast the motor. Thanks for the info. It pulls ok. Its not anything great. But hey that's why I am building a laser. Thanks again.

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And i have another question. My dad was talking about his cars and he says that my 85 newyorker would have a different turbo then my 86 laser xt. He also said that my 89 gtc would have a different turbo then my moms regular baron stock??? I haven't heard any of this ever before? Have i missed something???:shrug::Noob:

·
Banned
3 Posts
the wastegate controls your boost limit, with it unhooked there is nothing stopping you from over boosting.
here are 2 examples of what happens when you unplug the wastegate.

1: i had a near stock turbo minivan and i was on my way to the sdac fall colors tour (25 turbo cars tearing up the streets for a 100 mile cruise) well just before i got to the meet up place, my vac line to the wategate split and was too short to reconnect, TURBODAVE says "that just makes it more fun, lets go, just be careful". i have a boost gauge so i just keep an eye on it while boosting, of course it pulls like a raped ape while your feathering the gas pedal to keep it under 15psi. i had fun all day, was able to hang pretty close to daves bumper on his vnt shadow most of the day. i didnt blow anything but it could have happened if i didnt pay close attention.

#2: my buddy has a 5 speed mini van close to stock as well. he was going to show his kids and their friends a 2500rpm clutch dump. well the wastegate line blew off and he spiked to 22psi and kaboooom!!! toasted a piston and cracked a cylinder wall. yeah he could have smoked a z06 vette for a good 100 ft. but he had to replace the whole motor

keep the vac line on and mod it safely!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts