Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
car is a '83 scamp, 2.2t2, auto, MP stage 2 logic and quite a few upgrades using harness from an '86 charger t1 converted to work with t2 engine and has been running for close to a year without any major problems.
alright here is were i'm at with this, checked and have a good ground at one side of the TPS connector and 5.06v on the other, so power and ground is good. with key on, at middle wire i checked and have .80v closed, as i open the throttle it goes steady to 3.65v at WOT. checking specs it should be good, reading the minimopar resources it says, voltage should not be below 0.16 or above 4.7v or it will set light and code 24.
i have replaced the TPS, MAP and logic a few months back and checked the harness again today, pulled apart all the connections cleaned and dielectric greased them. the wire checks out good all the way to the logic, so what in the world is going on?
the light comes on sometimes and not others but seems to come on more when i start to run the car hard and get into boost?
someone throw me a bone, has anyone run into this before?
thanks in advance,
scotty

·
Administrator
25,639 Posts
Sounds like an Electrical Connection Problem when the engine is under torque.
Hook up your Voltmeter to TPS 5 Volt Reference Line and Signal Return Line with TPS Connector plugged in and Key On/Engine Off.Perform a "Wiggle Test" on the Harness and Connectors and watch the Voltmeter For Voltage to drop off or go open.There is probably a small break in a wire or poor connector mating at TPS or Controller and is only showing up when the harness is being pulled on(High Torque Conditions).Pulling and twisting on the harness and connectors will help to simulate this condition and isolate the problem.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NAJ, thanks for the reply, i also did that when checking the TPS and while metering everything but still not showing bad. funny thing is that i wiggled the connector going to the TPS when a coworker and i went to lunch yesterday because the light was on and he wanted to "feel" a car with this much boost. wiggled it and restarted car and no light on, thought i found the problem, under boost it came on again. then i rechecked everything and all showed good again, drove home and back to work today and kept boost to a minimum and no light came on. i think i may try and run a new wire straight from TPS to logic and go boostin' and see what happens, but please keep the ideas comming!
thanks,
scotty

·
Administrator
25,639 Posts
It is very possible that the controller is seeing stray voltage that is going thru the TPS circuit.Signal Ground at LM is common to All Sensors and there are other signal and power grounds at the controllers and body that splice into the TPS circuit.A faulty Ground at any one of these could cause voltage to seek another path to ground.
If you have access to a scan tool you can look at sensor readings while the problem occurs so you can see what the controller is seeing,you can also connect your voltmeter to the TPS circuit and watch that while driving to see TPS Voltage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.