Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1989 plymouth sundance 2.5 turbo.

I have codes 12, 11, and 15. Car stalls intermittently while driving. or on occasion it will just die. It seems to be getting worse as the weather warms up. I think the HEP might be bad hence the 12 code, but want to get another opinion before i start throwing parts at it.

Is there any online source for an OEM HEP? Part no?

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Code 11 is what references a bad HEP.

Code 12 just means the battery has been unplugged recently.

Code 15 is a loss of signal from the speed/ distance sensor.

Code 11 and code 15 are what you're after.

The HEP is most likely the cause I'd say. Describe how/when it stalls.

I was able to find them on factorymoparparts.com

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry i meant code 11 as the reference. I do have 11 and 15.

Sometimes it will stumble and the rpm gauge will drop to '0' and then just jump back up again and run fine. Othertimes it will just stall. It seems to stall and shut off on a decel, and stumble but will continue to run while driving if that makes sense.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Lol that kinda sounds like a HEP to me.

Try unplugging and reseting the computer and see if the code 15 reappears, and the code 11.

Does the speedometer work on the car?

Does it ever have trouble starting back up?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the speedo works. its about 5mph off but it works. lol

It takes a bit of cranking to get going again once it dies. It took about 2 to 3 min to get started again. cranking about 8 seconds at a time.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Ok I think its a HEP. A bad HEP will mean no spark. Next time it stalls and you try to start it, check for spark. If its a HEP there won't be any unless its starts right back up obviously.

Or if you feel confident enough, shoot and replace the thing lol.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think i will. What else would throw the 11 and 15 codes. I guess i will order one online this weekend as i hear its a crap shoot with non oem ones.

·
Administrator
24,983 Posts
Code 11 and 15 are not related unless there is an issue with the reference voltage.
Code 11 is loss of crank signal or engine not cranked since battery disconnect.
Code 15 is loss of speed signal from VSS to engine controller.

You can set a Code 15 and the speedo will still work if the issue is related to the wiring from the VSS to the controller.
A Code 15 issue will cause stalling on decel but will not affect re-starting.

You need to verify what is missing when the car stalls and will not re-start and once you have determined which system(s)are affected then you diagnose.

The biggest problem with HEP failure after installation of a new one is damaging the internal wiring from bending it sharply.

Here are the no start diagnostics.
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f14/358231-no-start-no-spark-84-90-a.html

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok i will do the code 11 diagnostics. and keep my volt meter with me and try to check for spark when it dies again.

where is the speed sensor located?

It stalled the other day and i stepped on the gas pedal and it just took of and ran fine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an update. Car hasnt died since posting so i cant verify whats missing when it does stall. Knock on wood. However the rpm gauge is acting funny. It does jump around a bit like its on drugs. But the car doesnt seem to react to the jump. Also when i shut the car off the rrpm gauge does not drop to zero. It goes to like 1100. And then when i shut my door the rpm gauge goes to about 1750. Seems strange to me. Maybe theres a short somewhere or something. Any ideas.

·
Administrator
24,983 Posts
The tach issue is common, it is generally related to cracked solder joints on the instrument cluster circuit board.
Remove the cluster and re-flow the solder joints.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts