Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, one of my 5 daytona's has started to have a charging issue again!!! it is the tII shelby z. when any extra load is added to the electrical system the alternator quits charging if you turn off the load, headlights or cooling fan turns off... and throttle engine it will charge again. voltage at batt is average 13.8-13.9 it goes to 11.7 when headlights are turned on. its not the power module... swapped it with my tI shelby z also swapped out my spare tII logic module. Im thinking its a short somewhere, the diagnostic manual shows a headlight to dash 8-way connector, with a dark blue wire and dark green wire that are spliced together. looking at the charging system wiring and pin outs to the power module it looks like the to wires to this connector are for the field wires to the alternator... I just dont know where the connector is located.. does any one have any ideas...

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
if it is a denso alternator the brushes are worn out your symptoms are classic for it. The brushes are easy to replace and will get you 150,000 more miles to the alternator. I have a denso with 210,000 miles on it with a brush change at 185,000. Brushes can be had from ebay for about 12-15 dollars or a local rebuilder if you are lucky enough to have one around. To id the alternator the denso uses a tin rear cover no other unit will have it. To id amps 90 amp units are just under 5 inches in diameter and 120 units are just over 5 inches in diameter

To replace them remove the tin rear cover. There are 3 Phillips screws that need removed from the brush set use the new one as a guide. The plus will tear out fairly easy so use a good screw driver of the correct size no cheap junk here and before trying to turn the screw tap the screw driver with a hammer to knock the threads a bit. Then try to turn the screw driver. after you remove the brushes use some emery cloth on the back of the rotor to clean it up some then install the the new brushes they will wear into the grooves and you are good. put rear tin back on and go.

I have never had a bearing or diode issue with a denso they are rock solid. They just can't get the brushes to last longer then a 150,000 to 180,000. But the unit will go at least 2 sets of brushes.
Tim

·
Registered
3,672 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no, it has the chrysler unit on it, with the black plastic cover. but i have a denso off a v6, just need to swap out the pulley.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
check the brushes before putting it on. great units
Tim

·
Super Moderator
6,975 Posts
also make sure you have a good ground for the alt as well, a bad ground can cause charging issues as well.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fixed it... the brushes casing was cracked causing it short out under load. thanks for the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts