Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried a search on this and got nothing.
My 87 Daytona Shelby Z front Intermittent wiper is intermittently failing in a weird way. When I first turn it I put it on the lowest setting but it wipes continuously. If I turn it off and back on it might work properly or might not. Often it'll work for a while then maybe 10 in a row then back to intermittent. The intermittent settings seem to work better after running a while. It has never failed to not wipe, it's just doing it too much.
I can hear a click every time the wipers move and no click when they don't. I wiggled the arm assembly bushing around and it was free so I don't believe that's it.
I thought the controller box circuit solder might have some cracks so I re-flowed the circuit board solder and no difference. FYI: Be careful if you do this as the outer plastic box is so fragile it almost crumbled in my hand. I epoxied the entire surface to put it back together and keep it that way.
I haven't checked the steering wheel control knob yet.
Any suggestions?
Thanks, DDBob.

·
Administrator
24,135 Posts
There is a resistor built into the wiper switch which changes the voltage coming out of the switch to the control module.
The output is on the White wire.
You should be able to connect an ohmmeter to the White wire and see resistance change as you move the position of the intermittent wipers.
I also assume that with the key on you should also be able to see voltage changes on the White wire at the Control Module as switch position is moved.

If you can get a hold of the 87 FSM or if someone has one the exact resistance tests for the switch will be in there.

We just went through this with my Son's car, the FSM has you check the switch and wiring, if they check OK it is "assumed" the control module is at fault.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!
I'll be going through all this probably on Sunday if I'm not too burned out. Today & tomorrow is the big Good Guys car show down the street at the Puyallup fairgrounds.
Take care, DDBob.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK. Got the PC back from having a virus. Just got back into this today, summer life is busy work.
Reading the Factory manuals it repeatedly says to put one probe on B+. Please forgive my ignorance but what's B+??? I can't find it referenced.
Thanks, DDBob.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks NAJ. I suspected as such but wanted to make sure to prevent any electrical smoke.
DDBob.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This stinks. Manual says it's a bad turn signal switch assembly and to replace it. No luck finding a replacement at the local parts store or RockAuto.com. Any ideas??? I was thinking and hoping it was possibly just corroded. Any luck with cleaning them???

Interesting. I re-examined the control module with the relay inside. I'd previously re flowed the solder hoping that would fix the problem, no difference. The 30 year old capacitors are impressive. Normally caps would leak by now but they appear like new and have a relatively heavy duty rubber top on them allowing expansion and contraction.

FYI:
1987 Chrysler Parts Catalog; Figure 8-6500 on Pages 239-241

2 SWITCH, w/Shield Wiper & Washer (SEE ILLUS.100)
4221 902 G-H w/Intermittent Wiper w/ Tilt Strg.

Thanks again. DDBob.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NAJ, have you ever cleaned a stem switch and got it to work??
Rechecked my diagnosis today and got a lot of mixed signals. As an intermittent problem maybe it is the control module ($45-$75) and not the stem switch ($32). I could rebuild the module cheaply if I can find the relay.
A bad issue was what's in the manual is not what's in the car including several wire colors being wrong and connector hole numbers running the opposite direction. Guess they ran out of the right colored wires and decided, "Hay this color works just as well." They did the same on the stereo. Turned a simple task into a 4 hour stressful job. At least I only popped one fuse.
Thinking I could live with it the way it is but it's still the dry season here. When it starts raining I'm sure I'll want it fixed.
DDBob.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dear NAJ, MOnday August 29th 2016
Hopefully the resistance chart and wiring diagram for the Daytona G body shows up. Another problem was the chart references a B+ to A but there is no A on the wiring diagram I could find. After sorting out the connector issue everything seemed to check out OK but as an intermittent problem it drives me nuts. Hate to give up but think I'll just buy a control module and go from there as this could take forever.
DDBob.

Attachments

·
Administrator
24,135 Posts
9 times out of 10 you will find that the issue is the control module, just as when I had issues years ago with my intermittent wipers and park it was the BCM.

When I had my dash apart I corrected the wiring schematic in the FSM for the headlamp switch and wiper switch since the manual only showed wire colors and circuit #'s but there was no pinout of the dash harness or wire location so it was almost impossible to run the correct diagnostics as Chrysler had written them.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the diagrams.
It's a lot of homework to cross check everything but I'll get around to it. First is to just buy the module as rain is coming.
DDBob.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts