Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend surprised me with a salvaged Omni a while back and the only thing wrong with it is the crappy Holley Carb...Anyways long story short DMV in California is Impossible and price of a weber carb to make it run right is more than the car cost so I'm just non-opping it and Pulling that drivetrain out and installing a SRT-4 Drivetrain over time...(Hopefully)

I have a 1990 Omni that for right now is 1 of my daily drivers so I want to keep the 1990 running until I have a full T2 drivetrain/harness built and ready to install. So can I take the 84 Omni N/A 2.2 block I have laying around and have it drilled for the oil return line and build it into a t2??? I have almost everything together to start assembling except a 2.2 common block, which I'm hoping the "Carbureted" 1984 Omni block can be used for.

What all do I have to do to the block itself to make it T2 compatible if it can even be done?? I know people are going to say just buy a turbo block but where I'm at they aren't cheaply/easily available and I'd still have this 2.2 laying around doing nothing so I'm hoping it's Convertable.

I know the later model 2.2 blocks are considered Common Blocks and are able to be converted with minor alterations but is the 1984 2.2 considered a common block as well?

·
Banned
7,664 Posts
The 84 block will be fine as a turbo block once you add the oil return/drainback hole. You can use the crank and rods (be aware how many bolts on the flywheel side) but turbo and NA pistons are different. You will also need to ADD an oil restrictor in the deck surface for a turbo. Forget that little piece and it will have over-oiling problems in the cam/head. You also need a 'turbo' prep head, just like most heads but has a TS stamped on the drivers end, under the cam seal. The TS is for Tapered Shroud. A non-TS head on a turbo engine will pretty quickly burn the exhaust valves. Turbo valves are more durable and made of a different material. Also it comes to mind that depending on the year of your car, the one the engine goes into, oil pans and front crank seal retainers are different but can be interchanged if you can drill and tap a few holes. To use a late model crank in an early block you have to change oil pans and front crank seal retainer...going either way that is. Common block pans, oil pump pickups and front crank seal retainers are different. Also note that late water pumps turn in the opposite direction as early pumps not interchangable unless you also change all the belts and pullies. There are early and late accessory drive systems.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 84 block will be fine as a turbo block once you add the oil return/drainback hole. You can use the crank and rods (be aware how many bolts on the flywheel side) but turbo and NA pistons are different. You will also need to ADD an oil restrictor in the deck surface for a turbo. Forget that little piece and it will have over-oiling problems in the cam/head. You also need a 'turbo' prep head, just like most heads but has a TS stamped on the drivers end, under the cam seal. The TS is for Tapered Shroud. A non-TS head on a turbo engine will pretty quickly burn the exhaust valves. Turbo valves are more durable and made of a different material. Also it comes to mind that depending on the year of your car, the one the engine goes into, oil pans and front crank seal retainers are different but can be interchanged if you can drill and tap a few holes. To use a late model crank in an early block you have to change oil pans and front crank seal retainer...going either way that is. Common block pans, oil pump pickups and front crank seal retainers are different. Also note that late water pumps turn in the opposite direction as early pumps not interchangable unless you also change all the belts and pullies. There are early and late accessory drive systems.
Huh..thats crazy the water pumps turned different directions, So as long as I use the original rods and crank (Good Condition) I can have that block drilled for oil return its useable... Ok as far as the head goes it has the Aluminum "G" head and I was hoping I could take it to the same machine shop thats going to do my block and have them do whatevers needed to make it work with the turbo..I read on here that these make great Turbo heads after being lightly modified so I'm hoping to use it along with the block it came with.

Where does the Oil Restrictor in the Deck Surface go? I mean how do I go about doing that? Is it just something I request in the Head Gasket from the parts store or do I have a Machine Shop do something?

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly and all the Help!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts