Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As topic says if i use my turbo and boost like 10 - 12 psi my gas would be gone soon. I had half a tank and boosted for couple of times and my guage went down and low fuel light came on :eek:. Its even worst than V8 cars, why is that? I thought people said you get good gas mileage with these 2.5 T1 engines.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Yeah, any time your in boost, especially WOT the computer dumps gas in. You want really good mileage, keep the needle in vac. :D

·
Registered
13,525 Posts
As topic says if i use my turbo and boost like 10 - 12 psi my gas would be gone soon. I had half a tank and boosted for couple of times and my guage went down and low fuel light came on :eek:. Its even worst than V8 cars, why is that? I thought people said you get good gas mileage with these 2.5 T1 engines.
What's the gas mileage for that tank?

You can't trust the fuel gauge to tell you anything other than you have gas and you don't have gas.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
On my GLHS part throttle, spirited driving as they say with a boost controler netted me about 14-16 MPG. Just got boost and high boost all the time. Then with an MP stage 2 the car would get 28 around town. Mainly because part throttle was set of 7 PSI. Even if your running lower speeds with a boost controller you'll chew fuel. The 2.5 T1 also has a tiny turbo that gives boost constantly. SRT 4s and the STi's have a tiny turbo as well giving instant boost, they get like 15 MPG too lol. A T2 Garret and a 2.5 SV will help you get more vac more often. With a bigger turbo the engine makes more power without boost, with a tiny turbo it must spin it to get air through it. Thats another reason I like the S60 turbo, 350 WHP potential and with a wideband up to 40 MPG. Driven slowly lots of vac and rev up and give it the gas and lots of boost. Mopar computers run the engine leaner to make power during boost, so more mileage under boost as well.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh ok cool. yea its hard to keep the mitsu on vac it passes 0 easily with pushing gas pedal a bit. But as "tryingbe" says, the guage is not that accurate because when the light comes on and i drove it for couple minute then the gauge goes back up again and light goes off but still it uses so mich gas under boost, so thats why. I got 205000 km on the engine (127000 mile) so is it good to put a new turbo on this engine or should i wait to rebuild it. Its running very nice and strong without any leak or burning oil, so how long these engines would last? I wanna know if spending money on it is worth it. Thnaks

·
Registered
538 Posts
I think you should wait until something breaks, then upgrade it.
Spending money on an car is never worth it but it sure is fun.
Spend some time doing research on what you'd like to upgrade so your ready when the time comes. And it always a good idea to have a spare car just in case.

The fuel gauge on my Daytona is fairly accurate and responds quickly, if I step on the throttle going up a hill I can make the needle drop 1/4 tank.
I used to get 500-700km per tank highway driving on my 2.2L T1, and as low as 350km per tank city driving.

·
Registered
999 Posts
PLEASE......convert................ to US measurements............ before posting...........................:confused: :shrug: :puzzled: Can't.........comprehend........metric.......

·
Registered
27 Posts
it takes fuel to make horsepower.

so if we have 0 boost= x-horsepower which equals X-fuel used.

if we have 15boost= 15xhorsepower which equals 15x amount of fuel used

·
Registered
29 Posts
Boost is expensive... but fun!

I haven't logged many miles in my Chrysler yet, but in my Nissan my fuel economy will vary between 9 and 26 mpg depending on how often I'm in boost.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
on most going from a mitsu to a garret isn't a huge power gain at the lower levels of boost. Normally just a turbo swap doesn't cause a big power jump. The turbo engines also have gasket issues before bottom end issues with an increase in power. Price? I make my own steel brain lines so I do the whole turbo for $36. This makes a garret swap more pricy for some. But SS lines are the first thing you change so you don't have an oil and coolent leaker. Lastly the Import folks LOVE the Mitsu, so they normally will give you enough to buy a Garret lol.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have never checked fuel mileage, if I did it would probably scare me, but then I am always hard on the gas when I am driving the daytona. I do know that running through $100-150 of 94 octane a week was pretty normal for me last year

·
Registered
39 Posts
In my 87 shelby lancer bone stock t2 5 speed I have driven it hard for a full tank before and it still gets 20mpg all city hard driving . With gentle driving Ive gotten 25 city and 34 highway.

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
Ya i am also teaching myself to be nicer to the peddle. But with the manual boost controller and 2.5 t1 with the quick spooling mitsu its either grandma speed with great gas mileage or some spunk and not so great gas mileage.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I always got 24 on the low up to 36 on the high w/ an auto TI. 26-38 w/ TI manual. Thats of owning 6 of these things.

·
Registered
521 Posts
basically more boost is more air
more air needs more fuel

and no point in trying to train my right foot, seems every time I try is when some one in a import pulls beside me and laughfs at my rusty car and I have to show him his place

·
Registered
477 Posts
Im kind of experimenting with fuel economy right now. Im trying to figure out if its more fuel efficient to accelerate to cruising speed slowly, and taking longer to get to cruise, or to accelerate quicker and get to cruising speed much sooner.

I also started a fuel log at ecomodder.com (click either)

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
look at it this way, even under boost. You have to be getting better mileage than a V8. :D

·
Banned
1,456 Posts

fuel mileage is good until you get into boost. One thing I havent seen anyone make mention, is that for each psi of boost you make, your fuel pressure is going to go up 1psi (on a 1:1 stock FPR) so if your running 13psi boost your already consuming 20% more fuel then take into effect the RPM/comp programming for injectors etc....

sittn86 said:
PLEASE......convert................ to US measurements............ before posting........................... Can't.........comprehend........metric.......
running boost is fun, but it aint cheap at these gas prices

which btw here they are at 1.13/litre or approx $4.50 a gallon for those of you WHO DONT KNOW WHAT MATH OR A FREAKING CALCULATOR IS

1 - 20 of 27 Posts